• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1934 Maryland Commem Arrived Today

15 posts in this topic

Thanks to Mike Printz @ Harlan J. Berk. (thumbs u

Maryland_Obv.jpg

Maryland_Rev.jpg

Mikes Images

Mikes Description:

Uncommonly nice with delicate yet noticeable, original and pretty color, superb frost (not often seen on this issue) and truly nice overall eye-appeal.

I took this quick shot:

Maryland_Slab_Combo.jpg

History around this issue:

What may be the opening wedge for a renewal of the series of commemorative half dollars has been attempted in Maryland. John W. Garrett, Ambassador to Italy during President Hoover’s administration, a member of the ANA and a prominent Baltimore collector, has urged Senators Goldsborough and Tydings of Maryland to lend their aid in securing the necessary legislation for a half dollar commemorating the Tercentenary of the landing of the Maryland colonists at St. Mary’s City on March 25, 1634. Preparations are being made by the Maryland Tercentenary Committee for the proper observance of the occasion in the spring or early summer, and the committee is cooperating in the movement for the half dollar. An issue of 10,000 specimens will be asked in the bill. The bill has passed the Senate.

The last issue of commemorative half dollars was the Captain Cook, or Hawaii, piece in 1928. A second issue of the Oregon Trail half dollar was also struck in 1928.

An effort was made in 1930 to have a half dollar issued commemorating the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Gadsden Purchase, and a bill authorizing the issue passed both houses of Congress, but was vetoed by President Hoover, and the veto was upheld by the House by a large majority. In his veto message President Hoover said that the practice of issuing such commemorative coins, to be sold at a profit, was “a misuse of our coinage system.” At that time several other proposals looking to the issue of commemorative coins were under consideration, and all were abandoned. Since then an effort has been made to revive the practice, but none of the bills has passed Congress, except for the Washington quarter dollar of 1932, which was struck for general circulation and cannot be classed as belonging to the series.

What action President Roosevelt will take if the bill for the Maryland issue reaches him is problematical. From The Numismatist, April 1934.

The coins were designed by Hans Schuler, the Director of the Maryland Institute, whose monogram appears upon the reverse.

This was the first type released since the Hawaiian issue of 1928, and celebrates the three-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the Maryland Colony in 1634 by the followers of Cecil Calvert, better known as Lord Baltimore. He founded the new colony to establish an asylum for those persecuted for their religious convictions. The majority of the colonists were Catholics who had been driven from England.

The new site was called St. Mary’s, and appropriate celebrations were held in that city and in Baltimore in 1934. In order to assist in financing these celebrations, Congress authorized an issue of souvenir half-dollars which could be sold at a profit-this profit to accrue to the Maryland Tercentenary Commission which sponsored the issue and financed the celebrations. A special postage stamp issued for the occasion showed the ships in which the colonists arrived, “The Ark” and “The Dove.”

An issue of 25,000 pieces was authorized by Congress, and the authorization Act worthy of more than passing notice, due to the many new features which were embodied in it.

It is obvious that the responsibility for the coinage now rests with the Director of the Mint. He is named specifically, whereas previous Acts had, with few exceptions, merely stated that “there shall be coined”; moreover, in the Maryland issue no mention is made of the Mint. Most of the previous coinage enactments had expressed only the total Act, but in the Maryland issue there is a fixed coinage figure given, for the production of which the Director of the Mint was responsible.

This was the first Act to contain any reference to the sale of the pieces at a premium.

The first and third quartering’s on the shield of the arms of Maryland, are those of the proprietor, Lord Baltimore; they appear on the Lord Baltimore coinage of colonial times.

Lord_Baltimore_Shilling_Combo.jpg

Image courtesy of Heritage Archives

What is the line above, and to the inside, of the right eye?

Thank You.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

John,

Do you mean the left eye?

If so, it's really hard to tell what that is. Depending on how you rotate the coin its not visible or it looks like a small hit.

1934Maryland_Brochure12Combo.jpg

Right eye of Lord Calvert- left side of screen if looking at the coin....

Thank You

John Curlis

Oops. :blush:

See above.

John,

It's perfectly ok if you, and others, do not like this example. :)

I don't post a coin I like to gain the approval of others. I post it because it's a coin that I feel is a nice example for my collection.

But, I will say that I do like to share the history behind the coins I collect. In my mind that is what coin collecting is all about.

Historically, the Maryland issue is beat up about the nose, eyebrow's, and lower hair area. This issue is known to be dull and lacking any lustre and color is difficult to find.

I feel this example has nice color and lustre as Mike eluded to.

No regrets on this purchase in my opinion.

The bottom line in this hobby is:

Enjoy your coins!

:)

1934Maryland_Brochure3Combo.jpg

Not a big fan of the coin either... But I do love all the effort you put into the other stuff! MJ was telling me that there is some guy that has a room full of just old holders and brochures.......... There are some very weatlhy commem collectors which is why I quickly changed my focus. I like to buy the finest coins and in order to do that in the commem world you must fork over 5 figures a coin!

I also agree one should enjoy there coins......

John,

It's perfectly ok if you, and others, do not like this example. :)

I don't post a coin I like to gain the approval of others. I post it because it's a coin that I feel is a nice example for my collection.

But, I will say that I do like to share the history behind the coins I collect. In my mind that is what coin collecting is all about.

Historically, the Maryland issue is beat up about the nose, eyebrow's, and lower hair area. This issue is known to be dull and lacking any lustre and color is difficult to find.

I feel this example has nice color and lustre as Mike eluded to.

No regrets on this purchase in my opinion.

The bottom line in this hobby is:

Enjoy your coins!

:)

1934Maryland_Brochure3Combo.jpg

I just read this Post, and this is the reason for not replying faster.

I do not want you to have an incorrect impression.

I do not dismiss any collector's coins. Ever.

I assure you that there was no cyberspace haughtiness in my mind/voice as to the quality of the coin when I posted my question, or that I did not like it.

I have a number of the MD. Commems- one of my favorite coins.

When I saw yours, it appeared to me on my screen to be a Die issue, not a ding or beat up, and I had not seen this type of Die issue before.

That immediately interested me.

I have admired your interesting and academic Posts for a long time.

A review of any and all of my Posts over the years, both here and ATS, would assist anyone in concluding that I do not comment negatively about a fellow collector's holdings.

When I do comment it is with courtesy and appreciation.

It is possible that my short worded Post led you to think it had a negative connotation.

I understand this type of interpretation. However, it would not be a correct interpretation.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

I just read this Post, and this is the reason for not replying faster.

I do not want you to have an incorrect impression.

I do not dismiss any collector's coins. Ever.

I assure you that there was no cyberspace haughtiness in my mind/voice as to the quality of the coin when I posted my question, or that I did not like it.

I have a number of the MD. Commems- one of my favorite coins.

When I saw yours, it appeared to me on my screen to be a Die issue, not a ding or beat up, and I had not seen this type of Die issue before.

That immediately interested me.

I have admired your interesting and academic Posts for a long time.

A review of any and all of my Posts over the years, both here and ATS, would assist anyone in concluding that I do not comment negatively about a fellow collector's holdings.

When I do comment it is with courtesy and appreciation.

It is possible that my short worded Post led you to think it had a negative connotation.

I understand this type of interpretation. However, it would not be a correct interpretation.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Thanks John and my apologies. :)