• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 - DDO - Microscope

6 posts in this topic

OK....Now that your eyes have had a chance to recover from the 71 Lincoln Cent from last week........

Here's the latest find from the bottom row of my safe.

64 Kennedy Half DDO- Uncirulated - Philadephia

Image92.jpg

The question I have about this one is about the reverse.

I have done some research on the Accented Hair Proof and discovered the markers are, from the obverse, the long hair over Kennedy's ear and the shortened base of the I in LIBERTY. I understand that these need to be present along with two markers from the reverse, Broken rays going through stars under "UNUM" and the G in the engravers initials "straight". (no serif)

My coin has the reverse of the Accented Hair Proof.

My question is, Is it normal/common for the Philadelphia Uncirculated coin to have the same reverse as the Accented Hair Proof coin ?

Here's the image of the Reverse,

Notice the rays are broken at the stars under UNUM and the G in the initials has no serifs.

My Denver minted coin from this same set has the regular reverse......Just has me a little curious.

002.jpg

Image96.jpg

Image97.jpg

I just got a message from a member of Cointalk.

He says:

"The reverse die variety RDV-001 (Straight G) is found on both business strikes and proofs for the 64 and 64D Kennedy's. They are refered to as transitional."

Finally!!! I've been looking at a lot of coins under this microscope.......It's good to finally find a DDO! (even if it is a fairly common one)

Only have a few hundred more to go, stay tuned..........