• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redfield 1926-S NCS Conservation Results

47 posts in this topic

Now I have one more to send in for NCS and I will be good.

This coin is currently in a Details holder for environmental damage.

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

I think a reverse dip will solve that problem and get her in a 63 holder.

Will I end up spending $70 to conserve a coin I bought for $100?

Yes.

Do I care what anyone thinks regarding the financial logic there?

No.

I have a feeling that the surfaces will be permanently damaged on this one. If you send it to NCS, I would ask them about removing the black stuff from the obverse as well, which may have corrosive properties. It is my understanding that they *may* be able to conserve even specific parts of the obverse.

Well the Redfield is gone as expected, thankfully the coin is not white. Now we just need to see in hand pictures because as usual the NGC pictures leave a lot to be desired.

I wonder how many on these boards where even here for that "incident !"

I was but more importantly at that time i was also ATS and that was where the "incident" was hashed out.

i saw this Morgan, and was wondering why you didn't just get the grade on the redfield case?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1898-S-Redfield-Hoard-Morgan-Dollar-Rare-NGC-MS63-/120686180141?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1c1974f72d

I imagine that he did, but it came back for PVC spotting. In order to save the coin, he had no choice but to have it removed from the Redfield holder.

but wasn't there some thing you guys were saying about a joint NCS - NGC submission ?

they couldnt just do that and leave it in the holder after the conservation / grading was complete?

Gents, I originally sent the coin in the original Redfield holder, when the proceeded to crack it out and bodybag it.

My only proof of provenance now is the original ebay auction, as well as pictures I have of the coin in the holder.

If I lose the pedigree... oh well, I still have a nice coin.

Just checked, they finally posted the pics, and the color is thankfully still there.

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/CertResults.aspx?CertNumber=3566779-001

AS we assumed the Redfield is gone BUT the coin looks a whole lot better

Congrats there anyway :) .. No Upgrade :(

I made a mistake.

I had two options.

1) ask that they keep coin in redfield holder and grade.

2) ask that they crack coin out of redfield holder, grade, and put in ngc slab with redfield pedigree.

Well, unfortunately, I chose option 2, never anticipating the PVC diagnosis, which ultimately cost me the Redfield pedigree, which I hope to eventually have put back on the label, but if not, oh well.

I made a mistake.

I had two options.

2) ask that they crack coin out of redfield holder, grade, and put in ngc slab with redfield pedigree.

Well, unfortunately, I chose option 2, never anticipating the PVC diagnosis, which ultimately cost me the Redfield pedigree, which I hope to eventually have put back on the label, but if not, oh well.

My understanding is that the coin has not left NGC since having the Redfield holder removed, right? Surely they would have internal documentation (at least one would think). I would call them before they ship it back to you.

Now I have one more to send in for NCS and I will be good.

This coin is currently in a Details holder for environmental damage.

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

I think a reverse dip will solve that problem and get her in a 63 holder.

Will I end up spending $70 to conserve a coin I bought for $100?

Yes.

Do I care what anyone thinks regarding the financial logic there?

No.

....I have a feeling that the surfaces will be permanently damaged on this one. ...

Agreed. Even if the black areas are lightened or removed, there will almost certainly be remnants of the damage, which will be conspicuous and unsightly.

I made a mistake.

I had two options.

My understanding is that the coin has not left NGC since having the Redfield holder removed, right? Surely they would have internal documentation (at least one would think). I would call them before they ship it back to you.

Unfortunately that is not the case. They bodybagged it and sent it back to me. I had to send it back in to NCS, who sent it to NGC.

PVC spotting ---- Hmmmm, that suggests to me the coin was part of Paramount's inventory and not actually from the Redfield bags....Other thoughts?

PVC spotting ---- Hmmmm, that suggests to me the coin was part of Paramount's inventory and not actually from the Redfield bags....Other thoughts?

I had actually wondered the same thing. I have seen countless Redfield coins and have never encountered one with PVC of any sort so I doubt that it would be from the Redfield holder.

I've been asking myself that same question. The obverse was dotted with PVC, but the reverse was clean.

Maybe the Redfield holders aren't as inert as we think?

I've been asking myself that same question. The obverse was dotted with PVC, but the reverse was clean.

Maybe the Redfield holders aren't as inert as we think?

If Redfield holders aren't inert, then I would expect that there would be numerous other reported incidences of PVC damaged coins and that this would be publicized by now. I can think of only three remaining possibilities:

1.) It isn't a Redfield coin and was inserted in a genuine holder deceptively (assuming that the holder is indeed a genuine holder);

OR

2.) The coin is an original Redfield piece, but somehow became contaminated in the holder (I am not familiar enough with the chemical structure or form of PVC to even opine if this is a theoretical possibility, but find it unlikely in any event);

OR

3.) NGC is wrong about it being PVC.

Roger has a good point. As I mentioned where would a coin that had never been in a PVC holder get PVC contamination? Jerseycat, are you sure it was a Redfield holder and not just a Paramount holder? The Redfields were doing so well that Paramount was putting their own stock dollars into Redfield type holders. Only difference was they didn't have the line "from the Redfield Collection" on them. A LOT of Paramount coins get sold even today as Redfield coins.