• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Guys, I'm Coincrazed!

67 posts in this topic

Like the pics? Does it answer your question? :)

Ha! So it turns out I was advising another seasoned campaigner! Such impertinence on my part! :blush:

Great score!!! (thumbs u

Haha, no problem man! CRH is a great hobby, no? It paid in full for my 1916D Dime. :)

And here's the verdict on the 1916D, NGC AG3:

cc011-1.jpg

I must say, I really thing NGC undergraded this. I have seen G6's and VG's that aren't as

nice or have as much eye appeal as this. And for $400, I snagged her. Thoughts?

CC

I'm shocked that the coin is an AG3 holder. This makes me wonder whether the coin was silently net grade for some reason (maybe an edge ding that isn't visible in the holder?). I think you did very well for $400.

i went to the bank today, the only rolls they had were 2x 2008 kennedy rolls. P&D (look BU)

they werent like random date rolls.

i grabbed em anyways, not sure why though.

The problem with half dollars is that most people hoard them, thinking that there is some sort of premium attached to them since they don't readily circulate. As such, it is often difficult to find large quantities from a single bank. I recommend purchasing a full box, or seeing if the bank will order a box and allow you to buy say half or so. But a full box is no guarantee of success in locating silver either. Some boxes have even turned out original BU rolls of clad Kennedy half dollars from the 1990s that were apparently still in vaults from the banks headquarters or maybe from the Federal Reserve. Others have revealed rolls of circulated coins including walking liberty half dollars and Franklin half dollars. It's all a craps shoot. Good luck.

Guys, sorry for the slow reply, been busy the past few days working on my new site. (in my signature)

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am very happy to be here. :)

@ Kenny, I thought if the Coin had problems it would go in a details holder?

CC

@ Kenny, I thought if the Coin had problems it would go in a details holder?

CC

Usually when a coin has a serious problem such as a harsh cleaning, it either goes into a details holder (NGC) or genuine holder (PCGS); however, the grading services have also been known to silently net grade coins for less severe flaws. For instance, sometimes minor edge dings, which may not make the coin "ungradeable" to the TPG, may be enough for them to place it in a lower grade holder. In other instances, minor cleaning has resulted in net grading (especially on Bust half dollars in older holders) although this trend is decreasing. There are several other potential reasons for netgrading.

Usually the flaws that result in netgrading are usually minor, there are some extreme examples. There is an excellent poster here, James_EarlyUS who can tell you an interesting story about his PCGS (half?) cent with significant edge damage that was obscured by a PCGS holder. I'm not implying that your coin necessarily has a damaged edge (more than likely this would show in the pronged holder but as I suggested, it is certainly a possibility), but it just an illustrative example of some of the reasons that seemingly "undergraded" coins are sometimes problematic.

Like the pics? Does it answer your question? :)

Ha! So it turns out I was advising another seasoned campaigner! Such impertinence on my part! :blush:

Great score!!! (thumbs u

Haha, no problem man! CRH is a great hobby, no? It paid in full for my 1916D Dime. :)

And here's the verdict on the 1916D, NGC AG3:

cc011-1.jpg

I must say, I really thing NGC undergraded this. I have seen G6's and VG's that aren't as

nice or have as much eye appeal as this. And for $400, I snagged her. Thoughts?

CC

I'm shocked that the coin is an AG3 holder. This makes me wonder whether the coin was silently net grade for some reason (maybe an edge ding that isn't visible in the holder?). I think you did very well for $400.

Look VERY closely, and the rim is slightly worn into the lettering on the rev. (making it a AG)

For a key these are usually graded higher, but it seems NGC was tough on this one.