• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congratulations!

7 posts in this topic

Congratulations are order for all this year's award winners.

Congratulations to this year's award winners, but in particular, to three award winners with whom I have conversed with in the past and whom I consider friends within Collectors Society. I am a far better collector for knowing each of the following three persons.

Two years ago, because I was impressed with his writing ability, I asked Revenant to evaluate a set I was working on. Thankfully, he was very gracious and glad to do this for me. Revenant's critique seemed a little harsh, but honest. However, because of my respect for him, I took his suggestions to heart and changed the look and direction of my set. Subsequently, "Gary's 20th Century Type Set" won an award for best-presented set in 2009. Now I am delighted to see him get the same award for his 1932 mint set.

Over the past year, I have cultivated a warm relationship with "The BRG Collection", he sends me tips on coins I may need, and I do the same for him. Over the past year, I have watched "Horses" develop into one of the finest custom sets that there is. His photography and graphic presentations are stunning, and his owner comments are informative and interesting. The BRG Collection through his "horses" set has challenged me to step it up and take my graphic presentations to another level. Interestingly, "The BRG Collection has said my "Inspirational Ladies" set which won the 2008 "Most Creative" award, was at least in part his inspiration for "Horses". Very fittingly, "Horses" is the 2011 "Most Creative" custom set.

One of the reasons I love "Collector's-Society" is that it allows for the expression of two of my passions, coin collecting and writing. Although "Iowa Silver Baron Bammer" is gravitating towards the "dark side" (currency, jk), I have always enjoyed his writing style and content. He is able to communicate his love for currency in a way that connects with the non-currency collector. I look forward to reading more of his journals in 2012 (I just may have to go to the currency page on a regular basis to read his posts this year).

Once again, to all this year's winners, congratulations, and for the rest of us there's always next year! Until then, happy collecting!

Gary

See more journals by gherrmann44

Well Said Gary!

All of us who love the hobby and create our own treasured collections understand and appreciate the efforts and sacrifices of this years winners. I commend you all and will visit all your sets in the coming days.

Later,

Malcolm

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for the kind words! I do appreciate them, and they do make me try harder!

One reason (and I have several) I do love currency so much is I worked in the printing business for many years. Even though I was just a pressman in a small job shop, I learned enough over the years to appreciate the craftsmanship and talent of the engravers, pressman and all the people who make such beautiful pieces of currency.

Also, and I may write a journal entry along these lines, I'm not going to forget coins. I look at coins, currency, stocks, bonds etc. as parts of a economic (financial) whole. Taken all together, they give us a history of our economic life.

Again, thanks for the kind words, and I do look forward to writing more this year, and looking at yours and several others registry sets.

Iowa Silver Baron Bammer (Brian)

Thanks, Gary. You've always been a class act. You've been one of the best participants on these boards since you got started in 08/09. I'm glad to see you're doing well.