• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 by lehigh96

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1955-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 5FS from Teletrade Auction #3020 for $132 and 336 registry points.

1955-D 5C MS66: NGC Census: (89/0). PCGS Population (30/0) (2/11).

Auction: 3020 Lot #1235

Seller: Teletrade

Auction Ended On: February 23, 2011

Coin Description:

As expected for the date, the details are mushy in the centers, specifically the steps on the reverse and the ear area on the obverse. Otherwise, the coin is actually well struck. There is extensive die wear which yields superb luster on this lightly golden toned Jefferson. The surfaces are not spectacular but many of the distractions are remnant planchet flaws including the large flaw above the steps.

Comments:

As any experienced Jefferson Nickel collector can attest, they find themselves apologizing for the quality of the later date nickels. Compared to a pre-war time nickel, this coin is a chocolate mess, but for 1955, this is about as good as they come and worth of the assigned top pop grade.

10195.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

The more I see the Jefferson portrait in high grade, the more I like it. The new portrait looks weak and vaguely tokenish. Love your Jeffs, keep em coming!!

Later,

Malcolm

The more I see the Jefferson portrait in high grade, the more I like it. The new portrait looks weak and vaguely tokenish. Love your Jeffs, keep em coming!!

Later,

Malcolm

Agreed, while the mint has solved the striking problems that plagued the Jefferson series for over 40 years, they have done so by reducing the relief of the coin making it look tokenish and cheesy. Jefferson's bust was proud and bold and has been reduced to a shadow of it's former self. I really hate the modern Jeffersons and have a hard time forcing myself to collect them. Every once in a while I buy one.

JN1989-PNGCMS676FS.jpg

The journal for this coin will be coming shortly. The relief in the 80's was bad, now it is horrible.