• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint's Hypocrisy...YES!

9 posts in this topic

Calling athe 25th Aniveresary ASE Set limited when knowing tha some of coin was minted way before the ASE 25th case was ordered.

Question if there are only two unique coins in the 25th set what is the difference from the Eagle 25th Anniversary 2011 W Eagle S$!1 Early Release and the 2011 W Eagle S$!1 Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Early Release? Now I know there are only 100,000 from the "SET" but how do we know that the coin was minted early and put into the anniversary set. I picked up my Eagle 25th Anniversary 2011 W Eagle S$!1 Early Release 4 months ago before they announced a 25th Set. Calling a set limtied to 100,00 when we all know that some of coins was minted weeks or months before going into the set is hypocrisy to the 10 degree.

I have five graded ASE coins from this year. 25th 2011 ASE, PF70 Ultra cameo ER, 2011 ASE MS70 ER, ASE Struck at San Francisco Mint 70 ER( no Mint mark), 25th MS70 ER (West Point label) 25th ASE Set MS70 ER and PCGS 2011 First Strike MS 70. They only coins I am waiting on are the SF MS and Revere Proof. I have time to wait for prices to come down. I have 4 more ASE coins to send off or grading.

I like way the labels on the 25th 2011 ASE coins stand out in my case

IMG02136-20111230-2130.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

The US Mint has no control over the absurd terms applied to its products by collectors or business people.

Over the past 60 years only a tiny handful of coins have ever been issued by the US Mint with a certificate stating that they were made on the first day of production or the first day of public release.

Just because the grading companies put MANY different labels on the same coin doesn't mean the Mint should be part of the discussion at all.

They stated a "limited mintage set" and it was a set limited to a mintage of 100,000.

The set used 3 previously issued coin types along with 2 unique coins to make up the set. The labels are the game of the TPG's not the Mint....

Kinda like "Early Release" and "First Strike" and now "First Release" .... stay tuned...soon to come..."Last Struck".... coins from the last 1000 struck

I don’t see any problem with the Mint saying that the SET is limited to 100,000 because the SET is limited. The only coins limited to a 100,000 mintage are the two unique coins of the set. The Mint doesn’t claim that the three previously minted coins are limited to a 100,000 mintage.

Now you may have an issue with the TPGs calling the three non-unique coins “Early Releases” or “First Strike” since the coins were previously released. This introduces a different meaning to these terms since it is not the coin that is an “Early Releases” or “First Strike” but the SET (this is why the sets had to be submitted unopened in original Mint packaging).

Would the TPGs permit one of the three non-unique coins in a 25TH ANNIVERSARY SET EARLY RELEASES label be put in a new holder with an EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY EARLY RELEASES label? It shouldn’t. But the labeling issues rest with the TPGs, the Mint really isn’t involved in this.

"Calling athe 25th Aniveresary ASE Set limited when knowing tha some of coin was minted way before the ASE 25th case was ordered."

This is an untrue statement as the US Mint has already confirmed that the coins within the set were NOT pulled from existing inventories.

The October 31st Issue od Coin World stated specifically that all the coins within the set were minted "specifically" for the set (including the Bullion Version) from Late August until October of 2011.

CWSAEClarification-03.jpg

IMO, this makes all the coins in the 25th Anniversary Set "special" and "limited" since each was actually a special run.

Unfortunately, the US Mint will not send out updated COA's likme they did for the 2004 Silver Proof Sets. Also unfortunately, the TPG's missed the opportunity to slab this set correctly.