• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photography

17 posts in this topic

Curious to know what types of setups are being used to produce these fantastic images of coins being posted. Some of you clearly have the process perfected and I would like to tap into your knowledge before I make a purchase.

I have a decent camera (Nikon D70 w/macro mode) and a tripod. I could build a copy stand. (or purchase one if that's a better way to go)

I've also seen some coin microscopes (with built in cameras) that have multiple magnifications. I do submit coins from time to time and it seems the extra magnification would be useful in helping determine grades. (or finding error coins)

Is there an all-in-one type microscope/camera out there that produces quality images and also allows for detailed inspection of coins?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

In my experience, any camera model with macro capability will work fine, but you do need a copy stand.

Lighting is the key.

I prefer three OTT Light's. I usually only use two but three gives one the ability to shoot any coin type. With the OTT Lights you will need to diffuse proof type coins.

Of course, just my opinion, and others with more knowledge may debunk my thoughts.

#1, to me, is PRACTICE.

My progression started with actually GETTING A REAL CAMERA...because I started with scans. Nikon Coolpix 950 was the first step.

Then very recently I got a Nikon 3100, a macro LENS and a copy stand (which I got dirt cheap off eBay) and have done pretty good with that. The close up shots are no longer an issue (which was with the Coolpix) because of the stand and the macro lens (which allows the camera to move farther away).

The other big step I took was back with the Coolpix when I started using OTT lamps. White balance was originally a problem and this took it away. You can also let the camera help you with this with its White Balance control...but I like the lights to do the job so the camera doesn't have to do more work than necessary. Besides, I'm always having to dig out the damn user's manual whenever I need a certain mode because I can never remember ALL of the bells and whistles! lol

jom

My progression started with actually GETTING A REAL CAMERA...because I started with scans. Nikon Coolpix 950 was the first step.

Then very recently I got a Nikon 3100, a macro LENS and a copy stand (which I got dirt cheap off eBay) and have done pretty good with that. The close up shots are no longer an issue (which was with the Coolpix) because of the stand and the macro lens (which allows the camera to move farther away).

The other big step I took was back with the Coolpix when I started using OTT lamps. White balance was originally a problem and this took it away. You can also let the camera help you with this with its White Balance control...but I like the lights to do the job so the camera doesn't have to do more work than necessary. Besides, I'm always having to dig out the damn user's manual whenever I need a certain mode because I can never remember ALL of the bells and whistles! lol

jom

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an OTT lamp?

Actually, an OTT bulb. It gives off light that is of a color temperature close to that of "natural" light ie the Sun.

Have you ever noticed coin photos that have a reddish look to them? That is due to an incandescent bulb used by a camera that hasn't adjusted its White Balance. The color temp of your typical incandescent bulb is rather low (I think it's on the low end or is it the high end? Can't remember). Whatever the case, an OTT bulb has a natural color (more blue so to speak).

I use these:

Google Search

:D

jom

In my experience, any camera model with macro capability will work fine, but you do need a copy stand.

Lighting is the key.

I prefer three OTT Light's. I usually only use two but three gives one the ability to shoot any coin type. With the OTT Lights you will need to diffuse proof type coins.

Of course, just my opinion, and others with more knowledge may debunk my thoughts.

#1, to me, is PRACTICE.

It really is all about the practice and lighting is where folks run into problems. The more you play with it the better you understand it. I found it best to learn one type of coin at a time. Brown copper, red copper, circulated silver, ms silver, toned silver. Lots of practice but lots of fun.

Looks like I need 3 OTT lights, a macro lens, a copy stand and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks to all that replied....I feel like I'm heading in the right direction now.

Looks like I need 3 OTT lights, a macro lens, a copy stand and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks to all that replied....I feel like I'm heading in the right direction now.

I think the first thing you should do is buy Mark Goodman's book:

Goodman's Book

He has a whole chapter on lighting as well as all other aspects of how to take good coin images. There are many types of lights that are suitable for getting good images. Once you read this, then decide what to buy for coin imaging apparatus. JMHO and this worked very well for me reading his book. I have two copies actually.....

'Buy the book before making the images' :)

Here is an example:

1829hcNGCMS64-1.jpg

Well, you don't actually need the OTT lights but in the spirit of "practice practice practice" you should experiment with them.

Also, HT's point about Goodman's books is spot on. It is EXCELLENT. As I recall, for example, Goodman uses Halogen lamps. In my experience they have a reddish color temp so the camera would need to be in White Balance mode. I could be wrong and maybe I used different halogens than what Goodman used but still. I really liked the "swirl" OTT bulbs. I should really try other lamps myself and do some experiments...I have the tendency to just stick with what I got....

Get Goodman's book...buy it directly from him too. :)

jom

I think the first thing you should do is buy Mark Goodman's book:

He has a whole chapter on lighting as well as all other aspects of how to take good coin images. There are many types of lights that are suitable for getting good images. Once you read this, then decide what to buy for coin imaging apparatus. JMHO and this worked very well for me reading his book. I have two copies actually.....

'Buy the book before making the images' :)

Here is an example:

1829hcNGCMS64-1.jpg

I've been looking for a good resource on this. Thanks for the advice!

Mark's site has my head spinning a little.

What a wealth of information!

I'm going to buy his book....read it through.....and then make my purchase.

(his website has enough information to make a decision....but he's done too much work for me to take it for free)

Thanks so much for the link.

Enjoy reading his book, and use it as a reference as you learn how to shoot coins. Be sure to post pics here for feedback. You already have an excellent camera body in the Nikon D70. For about $200 you can add a manual focus 105mm Micro-Nikkor lens, which is what I have been using. Get a copy stand with a 3-foot mast. They are inexpensive to buy used. For lights, I use daylight-balanced compact fluorescent bulbs in gooseneck desk lamps.

Hmmm....

I'd like to thank you guys for encouraging me to have another read of Mark's book, purchase a couple new lights, and have a decent go at the photography again with my Canon 50D. I have been shooting quite happily with my Canon Point and Shoot(s), but I thought it was worth trying to use my "beast" and trying harder one more time. Below is my first go with the new lights and finally getting the white balance figured out (the coin exhibits the slight toning in hand as is seen in the photos).

Cheers, and Happy New Year everyone!

-Brandon

119636.jpg.80a4914d2e5c3f142a2b6fc2008fcf3e.jpg

119637.jpg.c609ec67e8b770a8b3447cc9ae2057fb.jpg

Very nice Brandon (thumbs u

Wow HT where has that half cent been hiding . Haven't seen you post that before . When yoour looking to update it give me a call :)