• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How About Some Classic Commemorative History

8 posts in this topic

I'm a fan of the series and have been working on a book for seems like 10 years now but probably about three maybe four. ;)

If you have some factual info you'd like to share for inclusion in my book please let me know. (thumbs u Credit to you will be given.

Ok, back to my topic.

This history lesson is around the 1893 Isabella Quarter.

I should have never sold this example to a forum member, but I did, and I touched base with him recently and he's still holding strong on it and I hope he will give me the honor of adding it back to my collection, if and when, he decides to sell.

Another forum member did not give me that option on a coin I sold to him which is their right, but still. :(

1893isacomp.jpg

A Mark Goodman image. :applause:

I bought this example from Mark Feld in June of 2006 and I haven't found a nicer example for the grade, or higher, than this one IMO.

Here are Marks images of the coin:

commemIsabellobv.jpg

commemIsabell20rev.jpg

I have to give Cudo's to Mark for finally stepping up and improving the quality of his images since those days. I'm positive his bank account is much nicer. ;)

As I've conducted my research around this series I found some interesting information around the Isabella Quarter:

In her report to the Executive Committee of The Board of Lady Managers, dated May 15, 1894, Bertha Honre Palmer who was the President of such, stated that she had was authorized to sell the first coin for $500. President Higginbotham of the World's Columbian Exposition wanted the set of four (1st, 400, 1492, and 1892) for the Columbian Museum, as he had already procured for it the four similar Columbian half-dollars, and he offered more for the first quarter than the previous bid.

Thinking that they would sell better as a set, she wrote to Professor Kunz of New York, who was prominent member of the Numismatic Association of the United States, to get the names of the best-known collectors, so that she might send them a circular asking for bids for the set of coins. Professor Kunz’s reply is as follow's:

DEAR MADAM: In response to your esteemed favor of the eleventh instant, after carefully considering your query in regard to the first, four hundredth, fourteen hundred and ninety-second, and eighteen hundred and ninety-second Isabella quarter dollars, believe the coins ought to be put on exhibition at some prominent placed in New York; that for a period of three months bids be received, and that promptly at the close of that time the coins be delivered to the highest bidder.

I have spoken with the Tiffany people about it, and they agree that they would exhibit the coins for you in a special case, keep a record of the bids, and deliver the coins upon the receipt of the price, and turn the full amount over to your fund, without any commission.

In the meantime, they will do what they can to interest bidders, and the Lady Managers will do the same, of course, so as to obtain the greatest publicity for the bids, which I am sure one or more papers in each city would publish for you, say on Monday or Saturday of each week.

I will also do all I can with collectors and others. Kindly advise me of your decision soon, so that I can fully arrange everything before I leave for Chicago, about the end of the month, finally place the gems of the Field Columbian Museum.

Believe me, very truly yours,

George F. Kunz

Getting information around this from Tiffany's is not easy but I don't give up easily. :)

Isabella_Newspaper_Article3A.jpg

Enjoy your coins and the collecting of same.

:grin:

How much was raised for scholarships?

Uh Oh, off I go on another tangent. ;)

I would like to finish this book one day Roger. :)