• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Very Rare) Peru 8 Reals 1769

3 posts in this topic

I have in my collection a coin ( see attachmnt ) a Peru 8 Reals 1769, the kings

name being spelt " Farolus " and on the reverse an annulet above the M of the

Lima mint mark.

The coin appears to be genuine with weight and silver, but so different from the

norm as to be true.

I would appreciate any information on this coin.

484032-post1.JPG.2659d64143456204ef1f6834395a3153.JPG

Greetings, you have a copy of a Peru 8 Reales. A true coin would have the king's name in Latin as "Carolus III" which is Charles the third. To mispell the king's name usually meant death to the mintmaster. In addition, the 'IM' or mintmaster's initials would be 'JM'. Fairly common copy.

TRUTH

Greetings, you have a copy of a Peru 8 Reales. A true coin would have the king's name in Latin as "Carolus III" which is Charles the third. To mispell the king's name usually meant death to the mintmaster. In addition, the 'IM' or mintmaster's initials would be 'JM'. Fairly common copy.

TRUTH

Well not quite truth. There was a case when the King's name was misspelled on a 2 reale coin - the first P in Philip was replaced with an I. And no the mintmaster was not executed wink.gif

I answered this gentleman's question on another forum mentioning the points you did. It is indeed a counterfeit coin. There are many things wrong with this coin. But perhaps the most glaring mistake is the mint mark on the right side. Ever see a small o above the M in a Lima mint mark ?