• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unusual Bust Half

11 posts in this topic

I've had this coin since the 1970s. The obverse does NOT have a scratch, but rather a raised area. Is it a die gouge? Struck thru wire? Or ???

bust1.jpg

bust2.jpg

bust3.jpg

That is an O-105, and it does not have any die scratches or gouges. I personally have an O-105a, late die state.

Have we discussed this coin before? It looks familiar. I think the coin has post mint damage of some sort.

This is the first time I have posted this coin, so shouldn't look familiar. I acquired it in the 1970s and have kept it in my private collection and not taken to shows. Not sure how post mint damage would create a straight raised line, but who knows?

Thank You.

Look carefully at each side of the line. This could be a sharp knife cut at an angle, to raise the metal. You should be able to see a difference between the two sides of the line.

PMD. As Mozin says a shallow angle cut can raise a mound of metal. The mound is then gently pressed back down closing and hiding the cut. The result appears to be a raised line of metal.

Showed to a local dealer and he said in his opinion the mark on the coin was because it was "tooled". Help me understand exactly what this means, and why someone would want to mess around with a coin in this condition.

Thank You.

Tooling would be consistent with the statement made by another poster that a sharp knife or other instrument was used to move the metal to produce the protrusion. Why would someone do this to a perfectly (otherwise) good coin? I have no clue. Do you think the tooling was recent? It could have been done long in the past when such coins were considered common (i.e. in circulation; someone became bored, much like kids now take erasers to common circulating coins, etc.).