• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice Pickup On Friday

2 posts in this topic

One more closer to the halfway point

Friends,

I picked up a very nice MS64 1936 York County Maine half yesterday by selling some more old stock at my local coin shop. For those of you unfamiliar with the York County commemorative, it is a perfect representation of why the first series of commemorative coins failed so miserably (Special Interests). The York half commemorated the 300th anniversary of York County, southernmost county in Maine, and is also the second commemorative issued, during that period, for Maine as the first Maine half had been released in 1920.

Congress authorized 30,000 York County halves. With about 25,000 actually minted, Besides being poorly designed, the York also suffers from very low relief. So Maine has the dubious distinction of having two poorly designed halves in its numismatic history.

I also picked up a Monroe Half yesterday on EBAY, will show that Puppy when it arrives.

Later,

Malcolm

9991.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

Malcolm

Nice pick up, the story's behind the classic commems make these otherwise mundane coins interesting and collectible. Even so, there are some nice designs out there regardless if anyone has any idea of the events these coins are commemorating. I have read that the Monroe Doctrine half also suffers from poor strikes and low relief, but nonetheless it is a cool coin. The ladies stretching across the North and South American continent on the reverse make it a potential candidate for "Inspirational Ladies"

Gary (thumbs u