• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just another French coin

7 posts in this topic

Well - almost grin.gif

This is one of the nicest Louis D'Ors I've run across acclaim.gif And since I did - why of course I had to buy it wink.gif

482228-1748-W%20Louis%20D%5C%27Or%20obv.jpg

589a8c76869a6_482228-1748-WLouisDOrobv.jpg.dcf2f24132f925025b08ab64eca6180f.jpg

Sweet looking coin!

What's the story with the "d'or"? I've seen them names after several kings (Louis d'Or, Frederick d'Or), was it just a known quantity of gold attached to the name of the baddest king in the neighborhood?

-JamminJ

Sweet looking coin!

What's the story with the "d'or"? I've seen them names after several kings (Louis d'Or, Frederick d'Or), was it just a known quantity of gold attached to the name of the baddest king in the neighborhood?

-JamminJ

In a way - yes - D'Or = of gold. The Louis D'Or was introduced in 1640 during a major recoinage in France. This was because the predecessor of this coin - the ecu - had been fluctuating greatly in value and stability was needed. But this was not the first time the term was used. It was first used with the mintage a special coin the Franc D'Or in 1360.

It was at this time that King Jean II ( the Good ) was captured by the English at the Battle of Poitiers during the Hundred Years War. These coins, the Franc D'or, were minted and used to pay his ransom to the British. The coins were known as "free gold". This was also the first use of the term franc for coinage in France. The modern franc dates from 1795 and the New Republic.

Sweet looking coin!

-JamminJ

In a way - yes - D'Or = of gold. The Louis D'Or was introduced in 1640 during a major recoinage in France. This was because the predecessor of this coin - the ecu - had been fluctuating greatly in value and stability was needed. But this was not the first time the term was used. It was first used with the mintage a special coin the Franc D'Or in 1360.

It was at this time that King Jean II ( the Good ) was captured by the English at the Battle of Poitiers during the Hundred Years War. These coins, the Franc D'or, were minted and used to pay his ransom to the British. The coins were known as "free gold". This was also the first use of the term franc for coinage in France. The modern franc dates from 1795 and the New Republic.

Thanks, I always kind of wondered about that but never got around to looking it up.

Now I know! thumbsup2.gif

-JamminJ