• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bay Bridge and Rhode Island Arrived Today

9 posts in this topic

Picked up these two from the PO this morning: :)

Mark_Feld_RhodeIslandpcgs66_Obv_Combo.jpg

Bay_Bridge_Holder_Front1A.jpg

A History Lesson:

Rhode Island - The three-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the city of Providence, the first settlement in Rhode Island, by the great leader Roger Williams, was commemorated by a half-dollar of special design authorized by Congress in 1935. 50,034 minted, 34 for Assay.

Roger Williams was a Puritan, who was forced to leave Salem, Massachusetts, because of his political and religious views. He went to Rhode Island arriving at Slate Rock, and founded Providence in 1636, where he preached tolerance, religious liberty and freedom of conscience.

Providence, RI flourished during the Colonial period and became one of the most important towns in New England. In 1832, Providence secured a charter as a City, and during the nineteenth century developed as a manufacturing center.

The designs for this coin were prepared jointly by John Howard Benson and Arthur Graham Carey, both of Newport, RI.

The authorization of 50,000 coins was distributed between the three mints as follows:

Mint Month/Year Coinage

P Jan/1936 20,013

D Feb/1936 15,010

S Feb/1936 15,011

The coins were distributed by the Rhode Island and Providence Plantations Tercentenary Commission, Inc., which was successful in disposing of the entire issue of 50,000 pieces within forty-eight hours after they had been placed on public sale, at one dollar each. Speculation in this issue and the phenomenal rapidity of absorption caused much acrid comment by collectors.

In the Act authorizing this coinage, there is no mention made of the Mint, and it was the Director of the Mint who determined whether the coinage should be prepared at one or more mints.

Although this issue was authorized to commemorate the founding of the city of Providence, no mention of the city appears on the coinage.

Bay Bridge -In commemoration of the opening of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge in November, 1936, Congress authorized the issue of a souvenir half-dollar. 100,055 minted, 55 for Assay.

The designs for this issue were prepared by Jacques Schnier, a young artist of San Francisco. The models were reduced by the Medallic Art Company of New York.

Although an issue of 200,000 half-dollars was authorized, only 100,055 were struck at the San Francisco Mint in November, 1936. These were distributed by the San Francisco Clearing House Association at one dollar and fifty cents each. In view of the wide interest in coinage figures at this time and realizing the limited speculative possibilities in so large an issue, the coins were not readily sold, and 28,631 pieces were returned to the Mint for melting in 1937.

The obverse shows the California grizzly bear, which has appeared upon the majority of California issues; a view of the bridge occupies the reverse. The bear on the obverse was severely criticized by the collectors, as they felt that the obverse should portray an emblem symbiotic of Liberty, as stated in the law, whereas the bear depicted, Monarch II, had spent its life of twenty-six years in a cage, as a public exhibit.

I truly enjoy the history behind our coinage and if you spend some time doing this also, you will as well. :)

Happy Holidays.

Much as I love RI (I went to college in Providence) every time I look at my RI commem it reminds me of clip-art.

That's a terrific Bay Bridge collectible! Very impressive.

Lance.

Much as I love RI (I went to college in Providence) every time I look at my RI commem it reminds me of clip-art.

That's a terrific Bay Bridge collectible! Very impressive.

Lance.

i went to college in Providence too!

RI is the best state!!

edit: im surprised, nowhere on the coin does it say: "and Providence Plantations"

Thanks All. :)

The RI is not my favorite design by any means. ;)

It is part of the 50 piece set and this one is nicer than most.

Neat historical info as always, Lee. Thanks. The packaging of the Bay Bridge coin shows an older man, was this something done as a 25th or 50th commemoration? Very cool.

It was Copyrighted by Mr. Schnier in 1986. I'm also interested in finding out the "true story" behind these. Where did they find 1,000 coins for this promotion, etc., etc.

Here is a close up of the Bay Bridge:

Bay_Bridge_Obv2-1.jpg

Bay_Bridge_Rev2.jpg

Sweet coins.... I like how the bay bridge was signed.Wait until I get down to the FUN show and I can hand Shane my Bay Bridge ;) Without question my best toner. I like it so much I wont ship it......