• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Anniversary Error? posted by mikew148

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Has anybody received a 25th Ann Set graded error coin from NGC/PCGS?

One person is selling this coin on ebay as an error coin.

Buy It Now or Best Offer

$1,295.00

Any thoughts on this error/variety?

9851.jpg

See more journals by mikew148

There was a posting in the "ask NGC" section about this already. Below is a quote from that thread.

Thank you for the question. We will not be recognizing a new variety for the bullion coin in the 25th Anniversary Set. These coins will receive the 25th Anniversary Set pedigree if received in the sealed boxes, and that is enough distinction. There is otherwise no perceivable difference between the bullion coins from the set and from monster boxes.

"There is otherwise no perceivable difference between the bullion coins from the set and from monster boxes."

Seems a little strange....there is clearly a difference in the two coins. NGC saying there is "no perceivable difference" is not accurate. There is clearly a horizontal line on the bottom of the eagle that was not there on the (original)bullion coin. I would think that it should be a variety as opposed to an error.

Furthermore, since the bullion coin is coming from either San Francisco or Philadelphia this mark may be a determining factor as to the coins origin.

The coins coming from the San Francisco mint appear to be the ones with this line. I purchased 4 the 2011 (s) coins in Ealy Releases and they do not have the horizontal line. Could it be that only the 25th Ann Set, bullion coins struck in San Francisco, have this line? If so..How many were minted? Was the split between San Francisco and Philadelphia 50/50....80/20......95/5?

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t195120/#ixzz1eYL7r3Rz

Someone out there in Grade Land is full of beans. Hang on to it, and maintain photo documentation on the differences between the coins, and compare notes with other collectors. Something will come about later on.

Correction....In my earlier post I said that the bullion coins were minted in San Francisco or Philadelphia. I should have said San Francisco or West Point. I mention this only to keep from adding additional confusion to what could be a very confusing bullion coin issue in this set.

I came across this statement from PCGS this evening.

PCGS Certifies Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Coins

- November 18, 2011

IMPORTANT UPDATE: November 18, 2011. We have received the first submissions of the 25th Anniversary Coins. The mint sealed packaging includes a Certificate of Authenticity. That certificate lists all 5 coins. In that list the bullion coin with no mint mark is reported to be minted in either San Francisco or West Point. This information conflicts with earlier reports so PCGS contacted the mint directly. We were told by a mint official that while most of the no mint coins were minted in San Francisco there is no guarantee that all of the no mint coins were minted there. Consequently PCGS cannot label the no mint coins as (S) as originally planned. Those coins are still eligible for 25th Anniversary Labels and for First Strike according to the already published guidelines. We apologize for all the confusion.

If almost all of the no mint mark bullion coins (from the 25th Ann Sets) were minted in San Francisco and they can be indentified by some type of marker. Then the possibility exists of having an extremely low total of coins minted from the West Point mint with no mint mark. If it's something like 95% from San Francisco and 5% from West Point what, if anything, does that mean for the West Point coins value?

The bullion coins we have seen so far seem to have the "dent" in the eagles tail....have we seen a West Point minted coin yet?

This is puzzling, NGC and PCGS state the 25th anniversary eagle with no mint mark will have the 25th anniversary label. But they also state that if the OGP was opened it wouldn't be eligible for the label. How do you designate the coin if someone opened the OGP.

The puzzle gets even more confusing if no one knows or can account which mint produced how many of each coin. I guess we need to check our graded coins, because no one actually knows what happened. If we have graded bullion coins from the set and find a variation someone might become embarrassed.

Larry

This is puzzling, NGC and PCGS state the 25th anniversary eagle with no mint mark will have the 25th anniversary label. But they also state that if the OGP was opened it wouldn't be eligible for the label. How do you designate the coin if someone opened the OGP.

The puzzle gets even more confusing if no one knows or can account which mint produced how many of each coin. I guess we need to check our graded coins, because no one actually knows what happened. If we have graded bullion coins from the set and find a variation someone might become embarrassed.

Larry

If the set is opened then there is no way to tell if three of the five coins are any different then the the three coins that have already been released.

I have those three coins which were already on the market before the release of the 25th Anniversary release. They will get the generic label and grade. They will not get the special anniversary label.

As a matter of fact, there has already been another silver eagle released with the label stating that it was minted at San Francisco but doesn't have the Mint Mark.