• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original box of (99) 2006 silver proof sets -- unopened.+ ASE

6 posts in this topic

I have 99 silver proof sets in original unopened box as received from the US mint + an ASE dollar in there. These would have qualified as early release since the date shipped is 1st date they were shipped, but since I did not send to TPG I am told that is no longer relevant. Should I just open up the box, or is there any possibility that these can be graded early releases at this point in time? They are just sitting in the unopened box at this point.

Thank You.

I don't recall there being an "Early Releases" designation back in 2006 for anything other than ASEs? That blue (Early Releases) label for BU and proof coins of circulating types has only been around since the beginning of this year. I doubt NGC would put your historically minted proofs into a modern-concept labeled holder. Doesn't really make any sense to me.

Besides, it's just a label, and it doesn't really mean anything about when the coins were struck in comparison to the other millions. I'm going to say there is no chance of this happening. Sorry. If you want you can still "ask NGC" though. ;)

Good luck,

-Brandon

Except for one possible course of action, to be explained below, do not open the box! If you or any potential buyer wants them graded, they are eligible for a 20th anniversary set NGC label as long as the box is sealed in original condition. Furthermore, a sealed box will indicate to any potential buyer the sets haven't been cherry-picked. With one exception, there is no good reason for opening, because you can probably purchase 99 open-raw or grade-69 sets for less than you can sell your 99 sets in the sealed box.

The only possible exception is if you have enough expertise in grading to cherry pick the 70s for yourself. You might then open the box, pull out the potential 70s, and submit them for grading. Even then it will still probably be a close call as to whether you will find enough 70s to offset the loss of the potential value of the 20th anniversary set label, which commands a premium.

Early release designation from NGC is of course no longer an option, and is anyway of dubious value. You might still be eligible for first strike labels from PCGS, for an extra $18 per coin, but that's a shameful scam, and anyway, silver eagles should not be submitted to PCGS for slabbing until they solve their terrible milk spot problem. A very disproportionately high number of ASEs in PCGS slabs have developed white spots which render the coins unattractive and reduce their numismatic value.

I must have misunderstood, I thought the original post said they were silver mint sets...as in silver proofs of circulation issued coinage? I didn't get that it was 99 ASE sets? In which case, I have no idea, but NGC seems to be pretty strict that the Early Release label is only given to coins submitted to them by a certain date window.

I must have misunderstood, I thought the original post said they were silver mint sets...as in silver proofs of circulation issued coinage? I didn't get that it was 99 ASE sets? In which case, I have no idea, but NGC seems to be pretty strict that the Early Release label is only given to coins submitted to them by a certain date window.

Yes, you're right, the original post did specify silver mint sets, my mistake.