• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rhode Island Commemorative Coin

5 posts in this topic

Mark_Feld_RhodeIslandpcgs66_Obv_Combo.jpg

Just snagged this piece from Mark Feld. :)

Mark's description of the coin:

"Very flashy, with a semi-prooflike appearance, bordering on prooflike on the obverse. That side also features splashes of vivid green, red and orange color, which is more translucent and prettier in hand. The darker areas, in particular, look very different and quite gorgeous, under light. If you like it in the images, you will love it when you get a hold of it."

Since I'm a collector of the Classic Commemoratives I thought I would share a little history behind this coin in the 50 piece series:

The three-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the city of Providence, the first settlement in Rhode Island, by the great leader Roger Williams, was commemorated by a half-dollar of special design authorized by Congress in 1935.

Coin Description:

Obverse: Roger Williams kneeling in canoe, holding Bible, being welcomed by an Indian at State Rock; sun with rays in background; behind Indian a stalk of maize; above, in small letters, LIBERTY; around border in large letters, 1636-1936: RHODE ISLAND.

Reverse: Shield of Rhode Island; an anchor on a mantle; on ribbon above, HOPE; below, E. PLURIBUS UNUM; around border, in large letters, UNITED. STATES. OF. AMERICA. HALF. DOLLAR.

Roger Williams was a Puritan, who was forced to leave Salem, Massachusetts, because of his political and religious views. He went to Rhode Island arriving at Slate Rock, and founded Providence in 1636, where he preached tolerance, religious liberty and freedom of conscience.

Providence, RI flourished during the Colonial period and became one of the most important towns in New England. In 1832, Providence secured a charter as a City, and during the nineteenth century developed as a manufacturing center.

Appropriate celebrations were held throughout Rhode Island during the Tercentenary year.

The authorization of 50,000 coins was distributed between the three mints as follows:

Mint Month/Year Coinage

P Jan/1936 20,013

D Feb/1936 15,010

S Feb/1936 15,011

The_John_Stevens_Shop_in_Newport_Rhode_Island_ByNicholasBenson.jpg

The work on the design was done in the old John Stevens Shop in Newport, which has been in continuous existence as a stone-cutting shop since 1705, and in the present building on Thames Street since the Revolution. It was in this shop that Benson, who is an instructor in lettering at the Rhode Island schools of Design, puttered around as a youth and learned letter carving before studying in New York and abroad. I was this same shop that he purchased outright in 1927, carrying on the old traditions, established by the Stevens family, of craftsmanship and beauty in stone cutting.

Carey, who also comes of a family long associated with Newport – his grandfather presented the Carey School to the city – is a designer, silversmith and lecturer, and since last June has been in partnership with Benson.

Very nice example.....but, to me it is one of the ugliest commemorative designs, but then, there are Iowa, and Carver, and Maine, and BT Washington, and McKinley, and many modern fugly things.....

Very nice example.....but, to me it is one of the ugliest commemorative designs, but then, there are Iowa, and Carver, and Maine, and BT Washington, and McKinley, and many modern fugly things.....

That just add's to the intriguing history behind some of the coin's in this series Roger. :)

I spoke with the original designers Grandson hoping he had some original documents to share around this coin. Unfortunately, he didn't. I did find a nice article written by the designer that explains his position on general coin design. A very interesting read.

I hope all can truly appreciate the history behind their coins.

(thumbs u