• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you purchase a coin from a dealer that offered no refund option?

43 posts in this topic

Had an issue a couple years ago with this seller and haven't bought a coin from them since.

Plenty of copper out there for everyone. :)

18181COB1.jpg

After buying a coin based on a digital image via the web if returned your only option was credit towards another inventory item hm

Of course I would, given appropriate circumstances. I have done so, and I will continue to do so. I just need to know the terms of purchase up front prior to making my decision.

Then you've been lucky so far.

After buying a coin based on a digital image via the web if returned your only option was credit towards another inventory item hm

Of course I would, given appropriate circumstances. I have done so, and I will continue to do so. I just need to know the terms of purchase up front prior to making my decision.

Why "lucky"? In many cases, I pretty much wouldn't even care what the coin looks like because all I care about is the variety. In other cases, it's generic coins, such as a matte Kennedy half in mint packaging. Or in several cases, I've bought PF-69 or MS-69 common modern coins in slabs, and the NGC or PCGS grade is good enough for me.

Really, I can think of many, many instances where I would buy based only on a digital image and a "credit only" policy, but without relying on "luck".

Does not matter what ebay dealers say about 'NO RETURNS', buying on ebay means you have a full return policy, lol to anyone selling on ebay who thinks otherwise....... :roflmao:

You might want to think again, as that is definitely not true.

For example, if there is a picture, but no description, just try pulling that SNAD stuff, and you will be laughing out of the other side.

Question do you sell on ebay? if so, then please give examples that this is not the case. In all cases where there is demonstrated proof that the buyer has returned the item to the seller, ebay will refund the money from the sellers account to the buyer. This is definitely true unless you have had a different experience on ebay than I and can show otherwise?

I tried returning a coin to a seller because it had corrosion not evident in the photo and not mentioned in the auction. He had a no-returns policy.

He wanted a 50% restocking fee. It pissed me off. I filed a SNAD and lost. I appealed and still lost.

There is a myth out there that anything can be returned with a SNAD argument. Not so.

Lance.

Does not matter what ebay dealers say about 'NO RETURNS', buying on ebay means you have a full return policy, lol to anyone selling on ebay who thinks otherwise....... :roflmao:

You might want to think again, as that is definitely not true.

For example, if there is a picture, but no description, just try pulling that SNAD stuff, and you will be laughing out of the other side.

Question do you sell on ebay? if so, then please give examples that this is not the case. In all cases where there is demonstrated proof that the buyer has returned the item to the seller, ebay will refund the money from the sellers account to the buyer. This is definitely true unless you have had a different experience on ebay than I and can show otherwise?

I tried returning a coin to a seller because it had corrosion not evident in the photo and not mentioned in the auction. He had a no-returns policy.

He wanted a 50% restocking fee. It pissed me off. I filed a SNAD and lost. I appealed and still lost.

There is a myth out there that anything can be returned with a SNAD argument. Not so.

Lance.

I stand corrected then. Thanks for this example Lance, I always thought ebay was always for the buyer, I find it strange though that the seller won this one. All one has to do is use the 'not as described' (SNAD) argument and the buyer always wins in my experience, or so I thought...... (shrug)

Best, HT

Absolutely not. There is no reason not to offer a real return policy. I would argue a return policy is essential to finding the right coins in this internet age.

Depends....... Anything over $500 Id like a return policy or some type of credit. Anything under $500 is fun....... I like taking risk on toners. Kind of like the crack out game. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Why "lucky"? In many cases, I pretty much wouldn't even care what the coin looks like because all I care about is the variety. In other cases, it's generic coins, such as a matte Kennedy half in mint packaging. Or in several cases, I've bought PF-69 or MS-69 common modern coins in slabs, and the NGC or PCGS grade is good enough for me.

Really, I can think of many, many instances where I would buy based only on a digital image and a "credit only" policy, but without relying on "luck".

Then what you're saying is it's a non-issue to you given the types of products you're currently in the market for. Make the product a raw SVDB being offered at MS64, and that changes everything. Right? ;)

No, dealers who don't back their sales can't be doing right for the customer but only for themselves........

Ditto....heck I am only a wannabe ebay seller and even I have a no questions asked return policy so there is no reason a full time dealer can't have a money back return policy within a set time frame like maybe a week. I know returns costs time and money but that's the price of doing business (thumbs u

Then what you're saying is it's a non-issue to you given the types of products you're currently in the market for. Make the product a raw SVDB being offered at MS64, and that changes everything. Right? ;)

Of course! And that's why I gave specific examples of coins I WOULD buy under the OP's scenario, and was careful to state that my acceptance of the terms would occur for "many instances" (but not ALL).