• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatics with a Military Slant

8 posts in this topic

A Challenging collecting area.

A representative from the Naval surface Warfare Center recently visited my Command to attend a conference. During a break, he stopped by my office to say Hi because we had spoken on the phone many times but had never actually met. At the end of our very nice face-to-face, he shook my hand while passing me the very attractive challenge coin pictured below.

For those of you who do not know, A Challenge Coin is a small coin or medallion, bearing a military Unit's insignia or emblem and carried by the Unit's members to prove affiliation with the unit. So a vet telling a story about his time on the USS Peleliu (for example) could pull out his Peleliu Challenge Coin if someone questioned whether he had ever actually served on that Ship. Hence the name Challenge Coin.

I have a small collection of Challenge Coins I have collected over the years. This latest example came as a complete and welcome surprise.

Cheers,

Malcolm

9748.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

Great coin. I have many challenge coins. I once asked if I could swap in a medal for a coin. Boy did I get some weird looks. HA HA HA.

My favorite coins are the ones that I recieved from GEN Petraeus (when he was a MG and a GEN).

That's cool Kenneth, I have a friend who has a hundred or so displayed in her office. She has been very active with Navy Wive's organizations for many years so constantly meets people who hear of her interest and pass her a new coin. My collection of 10 coins came from a variety of sources but No General Officers :).

Later,

Malcolm

Definitely a tough and interesting numismatic niche and I'm sure one of great pride. A friend of mine in the air force has a coin given to him by Richard B Meyers when he was serving as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He is very proud of it.

Besides my favorites from the former Eagle 6 (GEN Petraeus) I got a coin from the Command Sergeant Major of the Military Intelligence Corps. I was a young buck Sergeant in Kosovo when he presented it to me. Its unique to me because that CSM wore a 2nd Infantry Division Combat Patch. Being it was 1999, the only way to earn that patch was combat in Korea. I spent 4 years with the 2nd Infantry Divison in Korea (1994-1996, 1997-1999). Its was neat meeting somebody who served in the Korean War and was still in active duty.