• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Anniv. ASE sets posted by Chrishjr

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Tired of hearing about these sets

First and foremost, I do not collect ASE's and probably never will as I don't have an interest in them. I am just tired of hearing people complain about this set, ok the mintage was somewhat low, limit per customer seemed a bit high for its mintage, price was fair (mint price)and the secondary market prices are in the clouds.

Even myself, a non-collector of these coins, feel that the limit the mint placed for orders were a bit high. But that is my opinion which I know will not be shared by others. A limit of no more than 2 would have allowed for more collectors to have a chance at purchasing a set and it would of made it a bit more difficult for the profiteers. While it wouldnt completely eliminate the profiteers, it would still allow for more actual collectors to have a better chance of obtaining a set without having to pay the largely inflated secondary market prices.

Many say that its the american way when speaking about profiteers, but is it not the same as "scalping"? I ask this because I have seen several posts on the forums saying that the poster feels its the same thing. If caught scalping tickets for events such as a rock concert, the police dont just look the other direction, they toss you in jail. In reality, the secondary market sales of these ASE sets are nothing more than typical retail operations, buy low, sell high, pocket the profit. I have no problems with that at all, my problem is the order limit the mint had set, a lower limit would of allowed more people a chance at owning one of these sets. According to one article I recently read, the average order for these sets were 3 per order and they had sold out in 4.5 hours, while a lower ordering limit may of prolonged the sell out, it would of only lasted minutes longer.

My final thoughts about the sales of this ASE set is that regardless of the limit per order, if you did not have the free time to constantly hit redial on your phone or to sit in front of the PC screen with hopes of finalizing your order, you would not have been able to purchase one of these sets. Those who did were most likely the ones that did not have to work that day so that they could dedicate the time needed to place the order. No matter what the mint had done (aside from increasing the mintage in combination with a lower order limit) these sets were destined to sell out extremely fast.

Those of you who collect this series and did not manage to purchase a set from the mint, I feel bad for you as you will now have to eitehr wait until the price of the sets level out, or pay the extremely high price that the secondary market has. At the time of writing this journal, there were currently 3 unopened lots of 5 ASE sets for sale in the market place.

See more journals by Chrishjr

You're right about having the time to hit redial or sit in front of a computer. I got myself a set and it was just pure luck.

I happened to be off when the ASE went on sale. I wasnt even aware of the 25th anniversary because I really dont collect ASEs.

I logged in to the US mint site just before noon to browse when I saw the 25th anniversary ASE posted on the US mint homepage. I thought to myself, if I was gonna have only a few ASEs in my collection, this set is probably a good one to have.

So I waited till noon then I ordered. When I kept having difficulty with the time outs and what not, I realized the mint's site is bogged down and this ASE set is a bigger deal that I thought it is.

My excitement grew and I kept at it until finnaly at 12:40 my order went through.

If I wasnt off that day and had the time to sit in front of a PC uninterrupted, I would not have this set. I certainly cant afford this set at the current ebay prices also.

You're absolutly correct. If you don't have any other silver eagles, this is the batch to have. Of course if you want to be considered a "collector", at least pick-up the 2006 3-pc. 20th Anniv set, and the 10th Anniv 1995-W Proof Eagle. Talk about having a "short set"! These 8 silver eagles in a 70 grade, will make most eagle collectors' eyes water.

Hey in 69 grade, you'll be talkin' near $10k.

Well I am a SAE collector, I knew about the release and I was very patient and got my order in at 12:22. The best news is my order shipped TODAY 11-9-11. If you were lucky enough to get a set remember don’t open the "cardboard box", or you wont be able to get them graded with the special 25th anniversary label.

I hope all these people ordering sets on Ebay realize that an opened set of 5 coins kills off 3 coins of the 5 pc set. WHy buy an opened set on Ebay when NGC or PCGS will not grade them as 25th anniversary. Just go buy coins on APMEX and save you money. An opened set will only justify 2 of the 5 coins.

I have a complete set of PF70 SAE with the exception of the 95 which is a PF69, I will need to add this one to my competitive set. Highly limited and highly desired.

LJRambo111