• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nothing wrong with the United State Mint ordering system posted by Johnson 1

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

New system Sell Out in 3 mins

In my opinion there was no problem with the way the United State Mint sold the 2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Set. Every coin collector and coin store in America was calling the US Mints call center at the same time. I worked for 3 and half hours before my order was taken. I have been in line at a ticketmaster line for tickets to find that the show was sold out in 3 minutes. So if the US Mint updates the order management system then the only thing will change is the time it takes to sell out. All of you cry babies will still be out in the cold with no coins. Go try and to buy Hot concert tickets a see how fast they sell out then you will know that well maybe the Mints site and call center was not so bad after all. It took 4 to 5 hours to sell out. That gave some time to get home from work and start working the phones or the computer. With a new system it will sell out in 5 Mins.

See more journals by Johnson 1

Here's the problem, the Mint should set a higher limit on the mintage of the set so A. profiteers will have less opportunity to gouge, and B. legitimate SAE collectors won't be gouged. A maximum of 250000 would have been fairer and they still might have sold out.

The mint needs to change the way the system works to a first come first serve basis which does not exist right now. The reason some people think that the system is perfeectly fine is because they got to order their sets but ignore the fact that many people did not.

First of all , this is not a Concert Website.The U,S, Mint handled it badly. It was a limited set. They already allow Dealers to purchase Bullion coins and not the General Public. The Dealers sent out E Mails to customers that they would pay very high prices for the sets. There were people who did or will never have any interest in the American Silver Eagle that purchased 5 sets and had friends and relatives purchase 5 sets. The U.S. Mint created a situation where they allowed Dealers and Profiteers to manipulate it. If the U.S. Mint wants to operate this way then they need to stop sending out brochures and e mails etc aimed at what they call the serious collector. The U.S. Mint allows the situation and then wants the collector to purchase annual sets with a mintage in the tens of millions.

It has nothing to do with whiners or whining. It has to do with truth in advertising and manipulation.True collectors were cut out of the process and they should boycott the U,S, Mint. If they are going to be forced to purchase coins from E Bay and Dealers anyway then they should eliminate the U,S, Mint entirely and write them a letter and tell them.

The U.S. Mint should have limited it to one set at one address. They also could have limited it to people who have a subscription for A.S.E or a record of ordering the A.S.E.

The U.S. Mint shares the blame. If people want to continue to do business with them then that is their choice.

BTW . This is the "Collectors Society " Website and not the Concert Website. I consider Concerts a waste of Money. You attend the concert and pay whatever absurd price the market will bear and it is over that night. A coin for a collector lasts for however long they want to keep it in their possession. Sorry you can't see the difference or you would know why these people are upset.

I do not agree. It was advertised as a limited set and should stay at the 100,000 mintage. The U.S. Mint should have limited it to 1 set per address. They should also adjust the sets so that at least everybody who got through gets at least one set. They advertise this as a possibility.

If you are upset about the fact that Dealers and Profiteers were able to manipulate the situation then you need to write the U.S. Mint and complain. Do like the Dealers and Profiteers and get all your relatives and friends to write the U,S, Mint and also complain.

If you are satisfied with the Status Quo then do nothing and the same situation will be repeated . It is just that simple.

Hey they could have only released them to their vendors and then we would have had to go to our coin shop and buy it at double the price. If I get mine I will be happier than if I don't.

This is exactly what happened here. The Dealers sent out E mails to customers that they would pay a very high price for them. People who had no interest in the series bought 5 sets and had friends and relatives who had no interest in the series order five sets.

Already you have a system with the U.S. Mint where the General Public is not allowed to buy A.S.E. Bullion coins.

So why bother to do Business with the U.S Mint if you are forced to purchase from the dealers anyway?Let the dealers manipulate the system and continue to purchase the annual sets with mintages in the tens of millions

The mint needs to change the way the system works to a first come first serve basis which does not exist right now. The reason some people think that the system is perfeectly fine is because they got to order their sets but ignore the fact that many people did not.

It was on a first come first served basis. The first ones to get an order in will receive the sets. This is mostly the people and their friends and relatives who have no interest in collecting the series and only want to make a profit. The ones who were put on a waiting list will get an order on a first come first served basis depending on their order number if there are cancellations or adjustments. Of course there will be no cancellations so your best chance is for an adjustnment.

Do as the Dealers and Profiteers. Have all your relatives and friends write to the U.S. Mint and complain about the manipulation and the pure profit motivation.

Or sit back and do nothing and it will happen again and again. The sets should have been limited to one per address.

The Mint confirmed by its email, that 1st come-1st served is in place(we can only hope). I was able to place my order at about 1:15pm, my Son placed his after 5pm. It appears that ALL of us are now on the Mint's "Waiting List". On both of our orders, the tentative shipping date was being changed, at times Twice Daily from the 11th- now to the 19th & 20th, while the Mint is busy cross-checking orders to whittle-down duplicates, Over Max per Household, bad credit cards, fraudulant names, bad breath, etc.

My Son knows that his order for 2-sets may be cacelled altogether(I was going to give him a set for xmas anyway), But my order was confirmed around 1:15pm- why are all the early on-time orders being jumbled in with the After 5-Late orders? We know that there were over 100,709 sets ordered, and that the last 4,700+ were ordered after 4:30pm EDT. First and foremost, the early orders with no financial issue should be among the batch to be Shipped First, whatever is left goes to the next in line, and Dealers get NOTHING!

I agree, I can only go by my experience of seeing the anniversary set for sale in an email and going to the web site around 3:30 PM and ordered 5 sets. No delays and a smooth transaction that took all of two minutes........I don't understand the fuss. PS. I'm a serious collector of classic coins and seldom dabble in moderns other than ordering proof sets.