• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Childhood Dream Crushed posted by Electric Peak Collection

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

An old cent isn't what I thought.

Like many of us, I collected coins as a kid, and stopped when it was time to go to college. Early in my second decade I spent a lot of time at a local bank searching for wheaties in rolls. Among those I found were a couple 1954-D examples that looked a little funny.

One looked like it had a repunched mint mark. The other looked like it had a stray 5 punched high and rotated from the final placement. These days, I'm not a Lincoln Cent collector, but I remembered that I had these coins tucked away in an album at the house, and decided to look at them with the Dino-Lite microscope I bought at the Pittsburgh ANA a couple weeks ago.

I first looked online for some resources. It quickly became apparent that the first of the two coins is a known variety, with (new) Fivaz designation FS-01-1954D-501, and number 45 in the top 50 Lincoln Cent varieties at lincolncentresource.com.

The other cent had fascinated me more all those decades ago. But none of the online resources I checked listed anything like it. So I fired up the Dino-Lite to about 30x and was no longer convinced that there was a stray 5. Cranking it up to maximum magnification, 230x, what I have became more clear. It appears to be nothing more than a lamination above the date.

So my dream of having some really cool variety, perhaps a valuable one, is gone.

Most of my hobby time is spent considering the next potential acquisition. After that, it's enjoying the more expensive coins when I have them home for a spell. But this episode reminded me of some of the fun I had as a kid. I think I'm going to start using the microscope to examine my coins more closely, not just take a nice consistent set of pictures. I have been starting to feel like I'm not enjoying collecting as much, and getting back to a more youthful approach (with some better technology) might help.

9690.jpg

See more journals by Electric Peak Collection