• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pair 17 S Obverse Walker Halves- Conservation issues- don't cry.

8 posts in this topic

Hi- back with more Walkers- Here I have a pair of 17 S Obverse with some condition issues as you can see. I would be interested to see what comments anyone may have about the coins and what you may think are appropriate conservation steps. The main issue is obviously the "green" vertigas or whatever- Thanks in advance for your comments and I welcome all and any perspectives as I quest for knowledge. Thanks JS (Sorry the pics could be better- I am still working on that one.)

A 1917 S Obv Walking Liberty Half Dollar

a17Sobv.jpg

A 1917 S rev

a17Srev.jpg

B 1917 S Obv Walking Liberty Half Dollar

b17Sobv.jpg

B 1917 S Rev

b17Srev.jpg

I know physics fan that I asked the question before but only had a picture of one coin which was of lesser quality. I worked as a criminal defense attorney for 20 years and one thing you learn, if you didn't know it already, is that people will many times give you different and/or contradictory answers to the same question, even very important questions. I'm not saying that I expect that you personally would be inconsistent but I might hear different views if I ask again.

I have been told that acetone treatment can sometimes produce unexpected adverse results that might contradict conservation goals. I will say I have experimented with acetone bath on other coins of lesser consequence in the leather bag that also have what I will call "green crud" and generally the results have been good but not what I would call 100% on the more extreme coins.

Although I might get further with repeated bathes.

Thank you again for responding and I will try and get back to this post and update when I "make a move."

And again anyone reading I am interested in all of your views. JS

I worked as a criminal defense attorney for 20 years and one thing you learn, if you didn't know it already, is that people will many times give you different and/or contradictory answers to the same question, even very important questions. I'm not saying that I expect that you personally would be inconsistent but I might hear different views if I ask again.

Any well seasoned numismatist will tell you, on a silver coin any green gunk = PVC contamination.

The only safe and effective way to get rid of the PVC gunk is acetone. Acetone will never hurt a silver coin in any way.

I love your Bug- I drove one about like that for one summer back in the 70's-

Actually some one cautioned me not to use acetone. At least not to do it myself. That seems to be the minority view alright.