• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last day of collecting posted by MAILMAN

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Today might be that day

I am so fed up with the policies of the Mint and NGC that today might be my last day of collecting U.S. COINS. I have been at quick check-out at the mint for over an hour. I didn't get greedy, I only placed an order for two sets. Keep one, sell the other to help pay for grading costs. Between the Mint not producing enough coins to meet collector demand, not placing a limit of one per address, and NGC having already announced they are doing an early release just to force someone to spend more money to try and get a premium for the coins, I have really lost my interest in pursuing this hobby any longer. It's too bad all the "collectors" out there ordering 5 sets just make money off of the rest of their "collecting" buddies. Have a great day

See more journals by MAILMAN

You can enjoy the hobby, just shift your interest away from "the newest and hottest" U.S. Mint releases. There are lots of ways to enjoy the hobby without giving the U.S. Mint one red cent of your money. I wish you the best in your endeavors.

-Brandon

I sat for an hour watching the circle spin round and round. Perhaps if the mint would update their web site the wait time could be eliminated. My set will remain raw and no one will get the grading fees. I think they look better that way anyhow. Don't give up the hobby because of a bad day. It is too much fun most of the time:)

I agree with rons and Brandon, coin collecting is a wonderful hobby that can be enjoyed without ever having any direct dealings with the mint or grading services.

Collect what you want, wait for those mint issues, you want, to drop in value, as they always seem to do (99% anyway) and don't fret over the sometimes greed-driven marketing of PCGS and NGC.

If you are not a member of a local club, seek one out, you're going to find the coolest most interesting people among us numismatists.

Cheers,

Malcolm

I aggree with you on mint policy, I think the mint should have limited the sets to 1 or 2 per family and upped the limit later. They had to know this would be hugely popular. As far as the web page is concerned, their site always crashes on the first order day. They should be buying more bandwidth and server space to cover demand, even if it is only on a temporary basis. Try not to let the occassional speedbumps in the hobby get you down. This is a great hobby with great people participating in it of which you are one of those people. I have always enjoyed your posts and I love your IKE's set . Hang in there.

Gary

Mailman,

I've got an update and possible great news, I finally got through after 4 hours of relentless trying and depths of ANGER. The good news is that if my order really gets fulfilled I'll be happy to sell one of my sets to you for what the mint charged me. Let me know if you are interested and if you still can't get through.

Hey MAILMAN,

Sorry to hear about your frustration with the Mint. I do understand...I had the same problem with their web site ordering the set. And the same problem with the 2006 set.

I was able to get through on the phone both times. Today, it took about 20 mintues with a s*** load of redials. All I got was busy signalsl. Once I got through though...it was less then 30 seconds till I was talking to a sales rep.

Don't let get you down too much...and like people have posted before...maybe switch your interests to other coins.

Best wishes

Jeffrey

Thanks to all of you for your comments, I must admit I was a tad upset by the whole ordeal. Needless to say I haven't given up collecting, been at it since I was about 7, that's about 45 yrs. Have survived getting my collection stolen back in the 70's. Guess I'll just keep working on my IKES. Good luck in your collecting adventures, Jerry