• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YOU DO NOT GET THIS WHEN BUYING FROM AUCTION-THANK YOU MARK FELD!

32 posts in this topic

I can say for a fact that Mark and I can easily identify someone who is price gouging. That has happened in one of the cases here.

ANY reputable dealer who deals with collectors needs to be ethical. If you sell a coin, you should always be prepared that it could come back-so long as you are in business. NO excuses. I do acknowledge there can be rare situations where a dealer is short on cash or does not want to buy. If thats the case, then they should try and place the coin or get another dealer to buy it. There are things that can be done. The issue is how many "name" dealers will just turn their backs and are done with the issue.

Mark did do what any good dealer should do. BUT, you'd be amazed at the dealers I see who just don't do the right thing. I acknowledged what Mark did because it was refreshing for me to see. I wish more dealers would be like him.

On the other hand, I have offered coins back to other dealers I bought from only to get a low wholesale price offer, lesson learned and won't be buying from those blokes again.

The original dealer may have no interest in the coin at this time and offer you a low price. That doesn't mean that the dealer overcharged you when he sold it to you. Maybe the dealer has many in stock right now and doesn't want another one? Maybe he has a cash crunch and isn't interested in buying any coins right now? Maybe the market for that item has cooled off? Maybe his business model has changed and he no longer wants to deal in this type coin?

If that is the buisness model of someone, who basically won't stand behind a coin they sell by not giving a strong price back for a coin they sold, no thanks, I am out of there. Don't care about cash crunch, don't care about any the potential scenarios you suggest. If I want to establish a long term buy-sell relationship with a dealer/collector, whatever, I expect them to treat me the same way I treat them. If someone wants to sell me a coin back that I sold them, I would try to come within at least 10% of what they paid if not full refund, not 40% or lower that some dealers will buy things back it. Don't matter if it is 3 days after the original sell, don't matter if it is 3 years, I would do everything to make sure the original buyer is getting fair value to him/her for the sell back. And that is the kind of dealer I also want to do buisness with, it is called standing behind what you sell and selling for a fair price to both parties involved. That is why selling back to a dealer is a good litmus test.......