• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A challenge for truthteller

8 posts in this topic

OK truthteller - you're usually able to identify coins for folks pretty quick. Let's see how ya do with this one 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And sure - the rest of you guys can join in - just give truth a shot at it first devil.gif

474606-mystery%20obv.JPG

589a8c6f497ab_474606-mysteryobv.JPG.2c37f4e9ccc237e8b49aaad7358b8bb9.JPG

Could it be Salzburg, Austrian States 1 ducat, 1782, 1200th anniversary of the Bishopric? Nice grade, Choice VF or solid XF. Just a guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This one took me about 15 minutes. First thought coin was Papal states ,but Hieronymus led me to Bishopric, then to Austrian states.

Nice challenge. thumbsup2.gif

TRUTH

Not a bad guess truth - however. The coin you mention - it was struck in gold I believe. The color in the pics is accurate 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Salzburg Convention Thaler?

?????????

If it's not Salzburg, my only other guess would be German States, Bavaria, Thaler.

TRUTH

Could it be Salzburg, Austrian States 1 ducat, 1782, 1200th anniversary of the Bishopric? Nice grade, Choice VF or solid XF. Just a guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This one took me about 15 minutes. First thought coin was Papal states ,but Hieronymus led me to Bishopric, then to Austrian states.

Nice challenge. thumbsup2.gif

TRUTH

You had it right the first time truth. This was a bit of a trick question in that the coin is an off metal strike and as such quite rare.

My question challenge had two purposes really - one to see if I could trip you up 27_laughing.gif893naughty-thumb.gif and two - to see if you could find any additional info that I have been unable to find. The only reference to this coin that I or the dealer I bought it from have been able to find are auction catalogs.

The condition of the coin is actually much better than my poor pics illustrate. I rushed them - shouldn't have done that makepoint.gif The coin is UNC with Proof like surfaces which is what i was trying to capture in the pics with the unusal angle. Unfortunately the fields of the obverse are marred by numerous hairlines. The fields of the reverse on the other hand are nearly clear, but the central device is marred by adjutment marks.

Even so - the rarity of the coin makes it a definite keeper for my collection wink.gif

" to see if I could trip you up" mad.gifmad.gif

Interesting, off metal striking. Is it contemporary or later striking? I have a Maximillian 1 peso medal that was struck with the original obverse die, but a fabricated reverse die. Probably minted shortly after the completion of the 1 peso strikes as a fantasy piece or presentation medal. There are very interesting items out there which are cool.

Are you sure the reverse has adjustment marks, or could it have been struck over another coin? It seems odd for such a small coin to have adjustment marks unless it is made of gold.

Have you ever contacted Mark L. Teller out of Encino, CA? He is very knowlegeable with post 1600's european coinage and medals.

TRUTH

I do believe they are adjustment marks as they certainly look like they were made on purpose. They appear only on the high points - at the gable of the temple and on its steps.

I have not contacted the gentleman you mention - afraid I don't know him. But the dealer I bought the coin from and a friend is also very knowledgeable and he believes them to be adjustment marks as well.

As for when it was struck - well it's always hard to say for certain without documentation. But the catalogs which go back over several decades list it as being struck as per date.