• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT, NT or MA ? And $3500 ? Really ?

38 posts in this topic

I figured roughly 5x greysheet was a decent premium for a coin will questionable toning.

Perhaps that would be a decent premium, but (to me, at least) the coin doesn't look questionable. What would you offer if you were convinced that the color was natural?

If I had some assurance the coin was NT, I could see myself bidding 10x.

What type of assurance? ;)

You have a NGC guaranty with the coin.... thats not enough ?

I use to worry about the whole NT vs. AT vs. MA thing and I finally gave up... As much as I think I know toning... it just an opinion and mine isnt worth poo... NGC or PCGS's opinion comes with a guaranty at least.

IMHO both coins looked NT to me...

You have a NGC guaranty with the coin.... thats not enough ?

I use to worry about the whole NT vs. AT vs. MA thing and I finally gave up... As much as I think I know toning... it just an opinion and mine isnt worth poo... NGC or PCGS's opinion comes with a guaranty at least.

IMHO both coins looked NT to me...

But, to my knowledge, a "guarantee" won't usually cover a price paid, which is far in excess of a typical example. So, if the coin were somehow determined to be AT, it is highly unlikely that it's owner would be compensated much, if any, beyond the price of a generic, non color coin.

The coin is obviously MA since NGC graded it.

I put it in the "questionable" category as it doesn't pass my criteria.

Of course, others could feel differently and that's fine. The price is way over the top but, again, if someone wants to pay it that's fine as well.

jom

I put it in the "questionable" category as it doesn't pass my criteria.

Well said.

I don't care for the color progressions, nor do I care for the way the color transitions from fields to devices (no hiccups).

That being said... I would gladly add to my collection at the right price.

I don't care for the color progressions, nor do I care for the way the color transitions from fields to devices (no hiccups).

I dont know if the laws of Morgan toning necessarily apply to Peace $... In the decade or so I have been studying toned Peace $ I dont think I can say there are easily identifiable patterns to how they tone...

Ive seen every possible toning pattern (in and out of top tier plastic) and few examples exhibit like tendencies. There are many in plastic that I think are AT but then I come across a new pattern that I have never seen and I start to rethink what I thought I knew.

I dont know if this makes Peace $ easier or harder to AT... either way I believe that there are certainly AT Peace $ in NGC and PCGS holders. And there are certainly NT Peace $ that will never reside in plastic. I suppose this might be one of the reasons Mr. Hall came out against toned Peace $ a couple of years ago... They are unpredictable and therefore more risky to certify.

I dont know if the laws of Morgan toning necessarily apply to Peace $... In the decade or so I have been studying toned Peace $ I dont think I can say there are easily identifiable patterns to how they tone...

Ive seen every possible toning pattern (in and out of top tier plastic) and few examples exhibit like tendencies. There are many in plastic that I think are AT but then I come across a new pattern that I have never seen and I start to rethink what I thought I knew.

I dont know if this makes Peace $ easier or harder to AT... either way I believe that there are certainly AT Peace $ in NGC and PCGS holders. And there are certainly NT Peace $ that will never reside in plastic. I suppose this might be one of the reasons Mr. Hall came out against toned Peace $ a couple of years ago... They are unpredictable and therefore more risky to certify.

Exactly. The problem with the Peace dollars is that there just aren't that many of them that toned so you don't have a good sample size to look at. Morgans are far easier....there are tons of toned examples. As to possible slabbed AT coins: Yes, you might have to rethink what you thought you knew OR you were right all along and the coin was AT. We all have to get over the fact that these TPGs make mistakes and realize they aren't looking for "AT" anymore...they are looking for Market Acceptable. Period. Can they put the coin in the holder and back it up with a guarantee....that's all that matters to them at this point.

As to the toning pattern: Who knows? The whole AT thing is very difficult so you have to go with what you know and do the best you can. I have a criteria FOR ME...others can disagree and that's fine. However, "others" are paying for my coins. I am.

At the end of the day you just have to go with what you like. That's it. No need to turn it into some crazy debate or fight on an internet board. If you like the coin (which would include the PRICE) then by all means that person should go for it.

In this particular case I like neither the color nor the price so for me personally it's a no go.

jom