• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT, NT or MA ? And $3500 ? Really ?

38 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1923-NGC-MS64-WITH-STAR-SILVER-PEACE-DOLLAR-DISNEY-COLOR-ID-E882-/230688503054?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35b61b350e

Has the toning market gone this crazy ? I know a toned 1923 MS65 * sold for $3500 in the recent HA auction but is that the new benchmark for common date toned Peace $ with stars ?

If so... Wow.

I love Feld.... he always has the most reasonable well thought out responses...

I miss talking to him at shows...

But Mark - no opinion as to whether its AT, NT or MA ?

I think the coin is MA...just not worth anywhere near the asking price and based on the post processing of the images I think that it's going to be a bit darker in hand than what we see in the pictures but still colorful on the reverse.

The coin that sold on Heritage doesn't look NT to me and all of the untoned spots and that huge planchet flaw are distracting so I would say based solely on internet images that I wouldn't paid a third of what that coin sold for but it only takes two to tango for an auction to be successful so at least 2 folks felt they couldn't live without it lol

The Heritage coin was attractive and NT/MA imho. The planchet flaw was very distracting. I bid the coin up to $600 and called it quits. $3500 was moon money for that coin.

The coin which is the subject of the OP is AT imho and not worth a tenth of the asking price.

I love Feld.... he always has the most reasonable well thought out responses...

I miss talking to him at shows...

But Mark - no opinion as to whether its AT, NT or MA ?

Sure I have an opinion - NT - but you didn't ask for one in your initial post. ;)

...The coin that sold on Heritage doesn't look NT to me and all of the untoned spots and that huge planchet flaw are distracting so I would say based solely on internet images that I wouldn't paid a third of what that coin sold for but it only takes two to tango for an auction to be successful so at least 2 folks felt they couldn't live without it lol

I viewed the coin in the Heritage sale and it looked NT to me.

Those untoned spots don't look legit to me ;)

Do you mean on the reverse of the EBay offering? If so, they don't look like untoned spots/areas - they look too white for that. But not AT.

I think Shane is talking about the HA coin. From the internet photos it made it look like there were small untoned spots across the whole obverse of the coin...

I have seen those same spots on quite a few toned Peace $ that are in plastic... not saying that makes it NT, just saying its not unusual on toned Peace $ in plastic to see that.

...The coin that sold on Heritage doesn't look NT to me and all of the untoned spots and that huge planchet flaw are distracting so I would say based solely on internet images that I wouldn't paid a third of what that coin sold for but it only takes two to tango for an auction to be successful so at least 2 folks felt they couldn't live without it lol

Are the Heritage photographs accurate?

Do you mean on the reverse of the EBay offering? If so, they don't look like untoned spots/areas - they look too white for that. But not AT.

He's definitely referring to the Heritage piece; coincidentally we discussed both pieces earlier today (before this thread was posted).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1923-NGC-MS64-WITH-STAR-SILVER-PEACE-DOLLAR-DISNEY-COLOR-ID-E882-/230688503054?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35b61b350e

Has the toning market gone this crazy ? I know a toned 1923 MS65 * sold for $3500 in the recent HA auction but is that the new benchmark for common date toned Peace $ with stars ?

If so... Wow.

I think the Heritage price realized is an anomaly, and the eBay seller is relying on this anomaly to sell his coin. Regardless two coins do not constitute an entire market. Other (in my opinion, based at least on the internet images provided) Peace Dollars with superior rainbow toning have sold much less. My example, pictured below, cost me more than $2,000 less. The coin looks exactly like the pictures.

Consignments59111.jpg

Consignments59113.jpg

Consignments59012.jpg

My recollection is that the color was prettier, and the white looking, splotchy areas, less conspicuous, in hand. It didn't look the least bit questionable to me. But I am positive that I'm not always right.

I will admit I have purchased one coin from that particular eBay seller. I did not pay the "Buy it Now" price for the coin I purchased, and the customer service was good. This seller also recently had a SLQ with a Jules Reiver pedigree that I had been watching for several weeks...it sold for a very reasonable price IMO.

Nonetheless, I would never even think about paying $3500 for the coin currently listed on eBay. I don't like the obverse toning at all, and I could have a LOT of other nice coins for that kind of money. As the ever-sagacious Feld said, "it's just an asking price" -- that doesn't mean they will get that!

I have bought one coin from them. It was a very beautiful Oregon but it had a hard to see and photo staple scratch under the toning. They allowed me to return it with no problems at all

Theres an offer in on it !! I wonder if it will and what the selling price will be ?

Any guesses ? I will guess $900.00...

I'll guess $375, as, after all, it would be rude to offer only 10% of the listed price. ;)

My recollection is that the color was prettier, and the white looking, splotchy areas, less conspicuous, in hand. It didn't look the least bit questionable to me. But I am positive that I'm not always right.

A Posit Flaw! Finally.....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Theres an offer in on it !! I wonder if it will and what the selling price will be ?

Any guesses ? I will guess $900.00...

I'll guess $375, as, after all, it would be rude to offer only 10% of the listed price. ;)

lol

Interestingly, I was thinking retail value would be around $350.

I put in an offer for $300.

Is 8.5% of asking disrespectful? :wishluck:

No, especially not when the seller wants a ridiculous price.

My guess is that it's consigned. And at a price which will preclude the Ebay seller from being able to sell it for anywhere close to the $300 offer.

I figured roughly 5x greysheet was a decent premium for a coin will questionable toning.

Perhaps that would be a decent premium, but (to me, at least) the coin doesn't look questionable. What would you offer if you were convinced that the color was natural?

To me the color in the heritage picture looks a bit questionable but I will defer to Mark since he has seen the coin in hand which adds a lot of value to his opinion vs my site unseen. I don't believe either coin is worth the asked/sold price but since it's not my money I don't care how others spend theirs lol

I figured roughly 5x greysheet was a decent premium for a coin will questionable toning.

Perhaps that would be a decent premium, but (to me, at least) the coin doesn't look questionable. What would you offer if you were convinced that the color was natural?

If I had some assurance the coin was NT, I could see myself bidding 10x.