• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Coins From Mint posted by Texan's Coins

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Interesting dilemma for the mint.

I was reading about this mint officer who stole edgeless dollar coins from the mint and it makes me wonder if the mint plans to pursue the return of these coins.

After the Langbord '33 Double Eagles case, the attorney for the government said that they wanted to set the precedent that if it was stolen from the mint, it will be pursued. Since the coins were sold to a dealer who in turn probably had them certified, there is a record.

The catch 22 is that if this does happen, the individual collector is the one who is hurt. It would be hard to figure out who would be the one to offer a refund. But, if they are not pursued, does that set a double standard for the Langbords to bring up?

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

I wonder if the fact that these coins aren't nearly as valuable as the 33 gold coins will make a difference? Will the US Mint want to spent the money to pursue, and if they do, will they be lambasted for it? It will be interesting to see what happens...

They should the ill-gotten assetsvof the mint employee, sue the dealer who bought the coins and be done with it.

Cheers from Avalon CA,

Malcolm