• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Coin Collector posted by SClassey

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This is in response to my 99 year old aunt who left me a lot of old coins. I want to thank everyone who has responded with very helpful information. I will go and buy the RedBook for coin collection.

I live in Marietta, GA and have looked up several shops that buy or sale coins but as you all suggested I should speak with someone I trust. I do not know whom to trust with what I have so any feedback on this would be appreciated. I want to know what I have but have not really thought of selling right now.

I have time now since I was laid off so I am really getting into this and learning a lot. I find it helps me keep busy and enjoy learning about some of the coins. Again, thanks for all the help!:)

See more journals by SClassey

Sight unseen, I would be inclined to trust dealers who are members of the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG). I am posting a link to PNG's webpage.

On their website you will find a list of member dealers and a collectors bill of rights detailing what you can expect from member dealers. I hope everything works out well for you.

http://www.pngdealers.com/

Gary

A great place to start is by sorting by type, then you can look through the "Red Book" to see what may or may not be rare. Be sure to store them carefully. I buy my supplies online through www.jpscorner.com. A local dealer will have some supplies, but may not have the selection that you can find online. Another thing you can check is to see if the state of Georgia has a Numismatics Association. Texas has one called the Texas Numismatic Association (TNA). They, in addition to the PNG would be able to help you find reputable dealers.

Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Marcus

#1 coin collecting rule-

DO NOT CLEAN THE COINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will destroy their values.

I hope you find a nice dealer!

Good luck.

ANA member dealers are also generally safe to deal with. Your local dealer is:

Cointown

9 Atlanta St

Marietta , GA 30060-1903

Phone: (770) 422-1096

Good Luck!!

Malcolm

Thanks guys! I appreciate all your comments. I think I'll start by taking a few silver dollars by several coin shops locally to see what they say. I went to the bookstore to buy the Red Book and met a very nice man going through the coin books. He helped a lot by telling me to go and listen to what they say and ALWAYS say, "Thank you very much but let me think about it".

He said this way I'll learn about my coins plus I'll learn about the different dealers. He said once they talk to me they'll know I'm a beginner and most likely try to take advantage of me. If they do then mark them off the list of good dealers.