• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next step posted by Texan's Coins

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Where to go from here......

As I find myself winding down on my Kennedy Proof collection, my next plan is to finish my Lincoln Cent 1934 - 1958 collection. Hopefully I'll have that finished by March. I don't have too much further to go.

After that, I find myself torn with what to do next. I love Morgan dollars and have become really interested in commemorative dollars but, I don't think I want to embark on another extremely large collection at this time. (Morgans = 105 coins and Commems = 130 coins). Also, with the price of silver where it is, these coins have gone higher that I want to / can afford to pay for them right now.

I find myself leaning towards smaller and "maintenance" sets. I recently bought the 2010 and 2011 Lincoln Shield proofs. This is a set I can just maintain year after year.

As for smaller sets, the Susan B Anthony and Dwight Eisenhower dollars look interesting. They are both fewer than 10 year sets, not very expensive and quickly completable.

My other thought is a type set (Not including gold). I feel this would give me a chance to collect something different every time I make a purchase. My only worry is that some of the early 19th century coins may be cost prohibative and that keeping a consistant grade across the set may be difficult, again, once I get into the 19th century coins.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. Is there anyone out there currently working on a type set?

Happy collecting.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Marcus,

Maybe think about a custom set or two. You can pick a subject you like, then add the coins that fit your criteria until it is complete (to your satisfaction). You get no points for a custom set, but you do get to pursue a special interest and show us cool stuff we may have never seen before.

Later,

Malcolm

Marcus, all the sets you are looking at I am currently collecting. Type sets are a good way to go, but if money is an object, maybe a 21st century type set would be nice. A lot of the 20th century type set can be filled with mid-60's level coins for less than $100 per coin and some less than $50. I am having a lot of fun with IKE's right now as a diversion from my Morgan's, and you're right that set is huge, with more than half the coins of that set in my collection, a healthy diversion keeps me from potentially burning out. 19th Century type coins get to be so much more expensive and I have set my standard grade down to VF. Whatever you decide to pursue, I hope that you find it enjoyable.

Gary

The Ike set is a fun set. There is one coin in that set that holds a pretty hefty price and not many that have them are likely to let them go. 1972 Type 2 Ike still holds prices in excess of $200 if you are able to find one. Currently I am still on the look out for that exact coin to finish my Ike set as well.

-Chris#2

(1) Where I really want to focus: complete business strike set from the latter SMS years (2005-2010). Registry points at PCGS for these coins are cheap; the quarter folks stopped collecting by the 2008 crash; the dollars will always be cheap; pennies pre-2009 remain ignored; I believe future high-grade tough-to-get will be:

1c 2006, 2007, 2008

5c 2007, 2008, 2010

10c 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010

(2) What's popular that might get more popular: early world bullion, like Pandas and Kookaburras ... or ASE's.

(3) What's totally ignored that could be a HUGE market someday: Communist China business strikes.

(4) US ultramodern business strike MS66+ PL. Few can tell the difference with the naked eye among 67/68/69 ... but PL grabs your attention right away.

Gary, I think you kind of hit the nail on the head. I want to work on something small to avoid burnout.

Chris, I agree that the Ike set could be fun. I like that it's a good hefty coin and I like the reverse design. Plus it's a set that I can finish in less than a year for a pretty good price. However, that 1972 scares me. lol Price I can work around, availability, well..... lol

Thane, I don't really collect world coins, but I agree with you that there are some good sleeper coins out there. I collect for the purpose of making a profit, but if I stumble across one, it's not a bad thing, right? lol

I appreciate your opinions. They help with direction.

Marcus

I would also suggest the 20th Century Type- you probably already have some coins to start the set from your Lincolns and Kennedy's- plus you can fill up some of the holes quickly and very cheaply. I bought an NGC 1976D MS66 Quarter for 4.00.