• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Langbord Hoard Offer

6 posts in this topic

But the Government is paralyzed with hand wringing, naval gazing, and other such useless pursuits

I read today that CAC has offered 20 million dollars for the 10 1933 Double Eagles. The article quoted a company principal stating they already have 7 solid offers to buy and they would be fine with hanging onto the other 3 for awhile.

I think that is a very fair offer and will serve to forever protect these numismatic treasures.

http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index.php/cac-offers-20-million-for-1933-double-eagles/

9576.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

This would be AWESOME - not that I would ever have any hope of obtaining one, but it would sure be nice to see them in collector's hands rather than the govt. Here's hoping somebody has some sense that's connected with this offer on the govt side...

Heck - I bet CAC would even exchange them 200 presidential dollars for these 10 double eagles during the official monetization process!! :idea:

an offer of 2 million per coin on something that had a single example that had sold for over 7 million? If we in the public know this, what makes anyone think that the good ole GOV wouldnt know it as well, they'll see it as hardly a reasonable offer to borderlined insulting of an offer. Granted the one that sold prior was the only one available to be owned at the time, but even with a total of 11 (if the gov allows them to be owned) I seriously do not see that huge of a value drop. Retail side would remain around 5.5 million and wholesale price should hover around 4.5 mill each roughly based on the prior sale of the single coin.

an offer of 2 million per coin on something that had a single example that had sold for over 7 million? If we in the public know this, what makes anyone think that the good ole GOV wouldnt know it as well, they'll see it as hardly a reasonable offer to borderlined insulting of an offer. Granted the one that sold prior was the only one available to be owned at the time, but even with a total of 11 (if the gov allows them to be owned) I seriously do not see that huge of a value drop. Retail side would remain around 5.5 million and wholesale price should hover around 4.5 mill each roughly based on the prior sale of the single coin.

If the 10 coins were made legal to own, they wouldn't be worth or sell for anywhere close to 4.5-5.5 million. There are much rarer coins which are the subject of wonderful lore and publicity, and which have sold for considerably less. I couldn't see them bringing (even) 3 million each.