• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Large Cent

13 posts in this topic

I needed one of these for type. Darn thing looks just like a chocolate penny. Pretty sweet coin. Anyways have at it. I was hoping for AU58 until I got home and compared it with a few others. Im think AU55

What do you guys think?

DSC09800-2.jpg

DSC09801.jpg

By today's standards it should make AU pretty easily. In the good old days it would have been an EF-45. You can compare it with this one, which I consider to be a "classic EF," but which now might make AU

1853LargeCentO.jpg1853LargeCentR.jpg

Here is a Mint State piece you can use to put the design in context to what it has lost through wear.

1852CentO.jpg1852CentR.jpg

Just as point of information, the only time I've seen the AU-53 used has been for expensive coins. The cheepest one I've seen had a price tag of close to $4,000. Others were five figures. It seems that the services only dust that one off when there really is a price difference in the AU grades.

For me, it is an EF-40, but I am pretty conservative grading these.

It's probably about an EAC 30 or so.

It doesn't matter if the EAC guys call it a VF-30, they still charge the EF money for it so it's just an exercise. (shrug)

Just as point of information, the only time I've seen the AU-53 used has been for expensive coins. The cheepest one I've seen had a price tag of close to $4,000. Others were five figures. It seems that the services only dust that one off when there really is a price difference in the AU grades.

That has not been my experience. I personally own an 1835 Bust Half graded NGC AU-53. Definitely not a rare or scarce coin.