• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions for selling bulk generic gold?

13 posts in this topic

Unexpected financial circumstances may require that I sell around 20 each of MS-62 (NGC and PCGS) $2.50 Indians (including the key 1911-D) and $5.00 Liberty gold pieces (all common dates).

I don't think I have the patience to Ebay them out, though that is an option.

Any suggestions to get more than just dealer to dealer wholesale?

Thank You.

Mark's point is VERY valid.

$80.00 drop today, and who knows what is to come?

His key words "...and how much slower and more difficult..." are a call to action if you indeed need to accomplish this quickly.

Maybe you should consider o/n maill delivery to him... I truly do not think you will find a more straightforward no nonsense person to represent your interests, and to do so with personal (real personal) attention and efficiency. I rarely give personal recommendations, but (there is always a "but") I will always make an exception for Mark.

The funny thing is, I have never met him. He has displayed his integrity on my behalf from afar. That is hard to beat.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Unexpected financial circumstances may require that I sell around 20 each of MS-62 (NGC and PCGS) $2.50 Indians (including the key 1911-D) and $5.00 Liberty gold pieces (all common dates).

I don't think I have the patience to Ebay them out, though that is an option.

Any suggestions to get more than just dealer to dealer wholesale?

Thank You.

Unload the generic gold on the BST forum here and ATS. Sell the key dates at Heritage.

You might consider Great Collections. They seem to be getting along well and I've heard from some consigners that their fees were less than most anywhere else. Plus, I have to say that their photos are excellent.

My suggestion would be to find out the amount they are worth in precious metals and the FMV for each coin itself. Write these numbers in two columns on a piece of paper with a column between them. In the middle column, determine what price you would like for each. Then take the coins to a local coin shop (not a bullion dealer that you might see advertised on tv) and see if they will offer you a price for each that is within reasoning to what you had determined to be what you would like to get from each of the coins.

This would be the quickest way to sell some of them if not all of them. After that, I would locate a consignor to sell them for you such as our own Mark Feld, Heritage or even Great Collections. I would save the option of listing them on the bay as a last resort.

-Chris#2

You might consider Great Collections. They seem to be getting along well and I've heard from some consigners that their fees were less than most anywhere else. Plus, I have to say that their photos are excellent.

I very much like Great Collections. But it rarely makes sense to pay auction consignment fees to auction off generic coins (of that type).

I thought greatcollections was free to the seller?

I would say contact mark feld and see if he can help.....help our own first :) Then if nothing perhaps craigslist it locally, your local B&M, greatcollections, ngc marketplace or the marketplace ATS.

I would say contact mark feld and see if he can help.....help our own first :) Then if nothing perhaps craigslist it locally, your local B&M, greatcollections, ngc marketplace or the marketplace ATS.

Even when/if an auction company doesn't charge a seller's commission, they charge a buyer's commission. And that fee generally comes out of the seller's pocket in the form of lower hammer prices upon which the seller's proceeds are based.

Even when/if an auction company doesn't charge a seller's commission, they charge a buyer's commission. And that fee generally comes out of the seller's pocket in the form of lower hammer prices upon which the seller's proceeds are based.

People often confuse this. In Real Estate the seller is always "charged" but the fact is they adjust their price to take that into account. But try explaining that to someone who doesn't actually see the deduction on their statement that they actually PAID for it. The real situation is that both sides "pay" for it evenly.

jom