• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC should hire another grader or two

69 posts in this topic

Why can't NGC assign the proper time. I doubt if that many would object if the time was updated properly. I have an Early Bird submission that they received on September 1st. The normal turnaround time is 12 working days. They revised it several days ago to 13 working days. It is the 22nd of Sept . today. It is still in Scheduled for Grading. . This is more than 13 working days. This way one won;t have to keep checking back every day after their "current" turnaround to find it is stil in Scheduled for Grading..

I no longer purchase the program with NGC where I get 10% off the grading of my coins and just purchase the one where I get the invoice for 5 free coins since I am constantly in the dark as to why it is taking longer than advertised to grade the coin and why it is taking so long.

Your purchase of the Elite or Premium membership has nothing to do with turnaround times.

Chris

Scott..I have a coupon for "5 photoproofs of NGC coins from my winning registry set". I have had it for almost a full year and would love to use it. However I have been hesitant to send anything in because my last submission took over 2 calendar months from "received" to "finalized, imaged, shipped".

Since these coins won't be getting graded but just photoproofed, how long will the turnaround be?

However I have been hesitant to send anything in because my last submission took over 2 calendar months from "received" to "finalized, imaged, shipped".

And how long are they going to take if you don't send them in? They won't magically grow slabs around them and two YEARS from now they won't be "finalized, imaged, shipped".

• Administrator
There are problems on both ends. I have an Early Bird submission with NGC. They received it on September 1, 2011.Here is the problem for me. The normal rate for a Turnaround her is 12 working days. They now have the current working days as 13 and it has been so for at least three days. Today is the 22nd and it is still in "Scheduled for Grading". It has been more than 13 working days. Why can't NGC adjust it properly so that one doesn't have to keep referring back to check the grades on their coins only to find it still scheduled for grading past their current turnaround times.

Hi CHABSENTIA: Turnaround times do vary and not every invoice takes exactly the same amount of time. For example, we had a slight fluctuation this month caused by onsite grading in Philadelphia. Also, if you had VarietyPlus coins, Mint Errors, tokens, or requested imaging, it could take longer. That said, we should always be posting accurate current turnaround times on the site; PM me with your submission invoice number so I can figure out why it's taking longer.

One Poster her said he knew of somebody submitting 5000 coins. The 2011 W silver eagle has just been released by the U.S Mint. Is this causing a back log with these submissions?. If they are sent in on the Modern tier which is a longer time ten are they going to the head f the line because it is a new issue or jut creating a back log?.

No, this is not affecting turnaround time on EarlyBird tier submissions.

I no longer purchase the program with NGC where I get 10% off the grading of my coins and just purchase the one where I get the invoice for 5 free coins since I am constantly in the dark as to why it is taking longer than advertised to grade the coin and why it is taking so long. If my coins are supposed to have a revised turnaround of 13 working days and they are still scheduled for grading after 16 working days with no update or explanation then why purchase the upgrade etc?.

All tier submission are graded first-in first-out. Dealer and Collectors Society submissions from all levels are routed through the system together in order of date received. Graders don't know whose coins they are grading, nor can they tell if someone has paid a discounted rate or not.

I hope this info is helpful.

• Administrator
Scott..I have a coupon for "5 photoproofs of NGC coins from my winning registry set". I have had it for almost a full year and would love to use it. However I have been hesitant to send anything in because my last submission took over 2 calendar months from "received" to "finalized, imaged, shipped".

Since these coins won't be getting graded but just photoproofed, how long will the turnaround be?

I don't know the exact turnaround time on Photo Proof right now, but it's usually about two weeks depending on volume. This isn't affected at all by grading turnaround times, but does rely on a couple of key individuals. The photos are taken by Doug Plasencia, who recently joined NGC and is a phenomenal photographer. Descriptions for Photo Proof are written by David Lange (no intro needed). Since these gentlemen have other responsibilities at NGC as well, if you have a hard deadline for a Photo Proof you can always confirm current turnaround times with Customer Service in advance.

However I have been hesitant to send anything in because my last submission took over 2 calendar months from "received" to "finalized, imaged, shipped".

And how long are they going to take if you don't send them in? They won't magically grow slabs around them and two YEARS from now they won't be "finalized, imaged, shipped".

The coins are already slabbed and part of the award winning set. My question was whether the free 5 photoproofs coupon of coins from the winning set would be subject to the same delays as the gradings have taken...I must not have been clear in my first post ( or else it is the same old forum, " never miss an opportunity to say something snide or condescending" mentality that keeps me away from posting most of the time )

I don't know the exact turnaround time on Photo Proof right now, but it's usually about two weeks depending on volume. This isn't affected at all by grading turnaround times, but does rely on a couple of key individuals. The photos are taken by Doug Plasencia, who recently joined NGC and is a phenomenal photographer. Descriptions for Photo Proof are written by David Lange (no intro needed). Since these gentlemen have other responsibilities at NGC as well, if you have a hard deadline for a Photo Proof you can always confirm current turnaround times with Customer Service in advance.

Thanks for the reply Scott-- and yes, I agree that Doug has an exceptional talent and eye for bringing out the best features in a coin. I had some photoproofs done before that came out amazing. With the coins locked away without ready access the registry and the photoproofs I have had done provide me with the opportunity to visit my collection without bugging the folks at the bank to let me into the safe deposit box(es) again.

Thanks for all you at NGC do and for the services you offer. It has added an entirely new dimension to my collecting enjoyment.

The wait time for coins to be graded has always been frustrating. We are now an "instant gratification" society, thanks internet....... I am 100% certain that NGC is doing the best they can with the graders and support employee's at hand.

Scott, as you know I'm willing to help in any way I can. :)