• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln Cents- Should I get these graded? 09 S; 23S Toned?; 39S; 36 Lacquered?

8 posts in this topic

Hi- As I said in the post with the Morgans, i just joined you club and I have some free gradings and I am considering what to submit for my included gradings- I am very interested to hear what views are regarding submitting these pennies. Thank you.

1909 S

09s.jpg

1909 S Rev

09rev.jpg

1923 S

23s.jpg - These stripes- is this toning or what?

1923 S Rev

23s-rev.jpg

1939 S

39s.jpg

1939S Rev

39rev.jpg

1936 - This one has a very enamel looking front surface- almost like a lacquer or finger nail polish- is this natural or is this something that has been done intentionally and why?

36p.jpg

1936 Rev

36rev.jpg

Thanks! I appreciate all comments from the friendly and well informed people on these boards!

I will repost my answer in the GTG forum here:

Again, I would estimate these at AU. The 36 very well may have lacquer applied to it - old time collectors sometimes did this to help preserve their coins. This will result in a no-grade from NGC (but the coin is not worth sending in anyways).

1909S - $230

1923S - $75 (this type of toning is known as woodgrain toning, for the pattern it makes. Sometimes it can be quite attractive).

1939S - $1

As you can see, only the 09S would possibly be worth it, and even then it probably isn't.

I would get the 09-S graded. I think it has a strong shot at MS63RB based on the photos (which are hard to gauge sometimes). It also has what I would call an attractive wood-grain look to it.

The others I would not spend the money/time/free-grades on them.