• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Under-graded? posted by The Wells Collection

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What do you think?

Tonight on the Teletrade auction there was a collection of lincoln proofs for sale ranging from the early proofs all the way to current. There were some deals to be had as well as some prices that are laughable. There was a 1969 1c NGC PF69UC that sold for $190 and a 1939 1c NGC PF66 sold for $220, good deals better than $100 less than I paid for those coins awhile back.

The laughable coins were a selection of coins from 1988-2000 all 1c NGC PF70UC all with a reserve of $280. Now I am left to guess that its the reserve or the Buy Back Bid as they call it, but that is what I call an opening bid of $280 and then it goes UNSOLD. Those coins on a no reserve auction would have brought less than $100 with a couple exceptions.

Now to the reason you even clicked this link, I won a 1959 1c NGC PF69 that appears to be under-graded, to me this coin is at least a cameo coin or maybe even a Star Cameo but who knows it may just be one of those sometimes strange PF69STAR coins. I am excited to find a coin that may have some crackout or resubmitting potential.

Tell me what you think as someone on here must have experience in this subject.

9379.jpg

See more journals by The Wells Collection

It looks like one of those "one sided" cameos - obverse only. I have one in my Leonard Family set too. Gorgeous coin though. I love the deep red color, and a 69 is right up there with the best. It might be worth a try for a star, but that's going to have to be your call. Good Luck.

Your photo is good and the Lincoln is a real looker but It is hard to evaluate any photograph to determine whether a coin is something more. I would want to see it personally before I would even try to render an opinion. But it does look like a cameo. If you think it has a reasonable chance of a cameo designation or even a star, then go for it, but try and compare it to existing cameo's first.

I doubt it would star*.

It might not be a two sided cameo- tilt it around and see if the cameo stays on BOTH sides. If it does and you are sure, submit for a cameo.

Nice coin by the way :golfclap:

That is a tough call Seth. I am inclined not to crack slabs to send to another grader. Take a look at my 63 and 64 Lincoln's. The one that is a star I think should be ultra cameo and the one that is should be a star. Go figure. Keep us posted.

since the coin is already in an NGC holder, you could send it in for designation review for $10. If it is cameo on one side and not the other it may end up with the label grade of PF69* At least thats what I am gathering from reading about the star designation

-Chris#2