• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quack

23 posts in this topic

At long last! I got the last of the Wildlife medals from the Mint this week! smile.gif Only 6 or 7 months behind schedule! shocked.gif

I remain convinced that the new laser technique for frosting the dies imparts an "unnatural" look to the devices. Whaddayathink?

468274-Nat%20Wildlife%20Medal%20Duck%20silv%20rev.jpg

Hoot

589a8c64766a9_468274-NatWildlifeMedalDucksilvrev.jpg.bd4857f5f2030189970bf76bb4b86fa0.jpg

Hoot,

I see what you mean. It looks nice, but not normal. Overall, I guess it will take a little getting used to. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and a quack back at ya!

John

They look pretty cool. I have to admit though, the thing that I don't like about this series is that the individual medals look too perfect. Do you know what I mean? It's like the artisan touch was removed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi Hoot

Nice Coin by the way. I do agree that they almost look fake sort of speak. Maybe because I'm use to seeing the Proofs a little different and not so much White or something. Just a short question. Did you have any graded as yet and may as bold to ask how you did? I have the set as well and was thinking of getting them slabbed. Thanks for any help.

Papag

Hi Truth

Thanks for your description and that is what I was trying to say in my post. Its more like a frost Matte. Thanks for the help.

PapaG

Truth - like papag said...

papag - I have not had any graded. NGC said they'd grade them, but the only way I'd like that is if they were in a multiholder. I still don't want to have to go to the expense of habing them graded individually then resubmit them for the multiholder. Seems like a genuine waste of money. Now, I'd even settle for them all getting the grade of the lowest common denomenator in the set if I could submit them directly for the multiholder.

Hoot

Truth - like papag said...

papag - I have not had any graded. NGC said they'd grade them, but the only way I'd like that is if they were in a multiholder. I still don't want to have to go to the expense of habing them graded individually then resubmit them for the multiholder. Seems like a genuine waste of money. Now, I'd even settle for them all getting the grade of the lowest common denomenator in the set if I could submit them directly for the multiholder.

Hoot

Howdy, Hoot!

Any idea when NGC is going to ammend this policy? I personally would like to have my set of five wildlife medal in the multiholder. (including the bronze eagle). I personally don't give a darn about the grades, either.

I just finished my assignment in Illinois and have my fingers crossed that the last medal will be waiting for me in Arkansas. I changed my address with the US mint when I left Washington state but later found out that one must separately change one's address with a subsription program like the wildlife medals. I arbitrarily called the mint to ask them about the status of the last medal and they said that mine was pulled the day before to be shipped. The mint employee was able to put my new address into the system then which, she said, was highly unusual since once an item was pulled for shipping then it usually couldn't be done. Anyway, my fingers are crossed 893crossfingers-thumb.gif that it was sent without a glitch. Afterall, ten months is a long time to wait for an item!

Hi Victor grin.gif

I don't know of any changes being batted around NGC regarding the multiholder policy. I agree with you that I'd just like to see them all displayed together - grades or no grades. In fact, no grades might even be better for this series. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot

I agree with You Hoot about the multi holder and about the grading. I only have 3 of the four right now and its been about 6 or 7 months now, so I guess about 2 months more and I will finally get all of them and maybe then NGC will also be able to decide about the multiholder. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

PapaG

Bummer, dude, but the mint delivered my duck to my old Washington State address. I had put in a change of address two or three times and the postage forward apparently expired at the post office. mad.gif

Well, I'll be back there in two weeks so I'll try to persuade the resident of my old address to cough it up. (It was delivered March 30) Hopefully, he'll be cooperative.

Any idea what that last one is fetching on the retail market? What about the retail set?

Thanks.

Victor

The duck is going on ebay for about $70, but the salmon is around $100... crazy! I got my ducks and have already sent them in, all four graded 69...

-Jill

The duck is going on ebay for about $70, but the salmon is around $100... crazy! I got my ducks and have already sent them in, all four graded 69...

-Jill

Thanks for the info, Jill. The pricing seems wild to me. Seems to me that it should be opposite. Oh well, it is in my favor if I have to replace it.

p.s. I'm glad that you have all of your ducks all lined up in a row. grin.gif

Jill sent me some great pics of the First (? - I think) multiholdered wildlife medals! cool.gif I'll let her chime in and tell the story, but as a favor, here are the pics (and they should be small enough for Leo! grin.gif):

488202-Wildlife%20medal%20multiholder%20obv.jpg

488203-Wildlife%20medal%20multiholder%20rev.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

They'd make nice designs for our circulating coins, though the requisite legends and mottos would give them a somewhat cluttered look that the medals don't have.

They'd make nice designs for our circulating coins, though the requisite legends and mottos would give them a somewhat cluttered look that the medals don't have.

Ain't it the truth! (Both points you made.) I think that Greg M and others have advocated for wildlife on coins. Perhaps that comes from the influence of many darkside pieces having wildlife themes, which are great. The U.S. has a rich wildlife heritage, but little to show for it on our coinage. Some of the classic commems have some nice wildlife - California, Wisconsin and Vermont halves come to mind.

There was an editorial in a recent Coin World objecting to the grizzly bear and bison proposed for the 2005 nickels. Basically, the objection was one of relevance. What the writer failed to understand was how many times Lewis and Clark were impressed by the abundance of wildlife and their encounters with them, such as bison, bears, pronghorn, elk, birds of various species, etc., etc. Their journals catalog a very different America than we see today.

Hoot

I have to say, Hoot, the pictures look better on the site than they did when I sent them to you! I absolutely love this set, its my first real cool one. I hope to have more in the future. I have to give the credit to Scott Heller of NGC's excellent customer service dept. It wouldnt be nearly as cool without his help fielding my many 893blahblah.gif phone calls and getting them into a multiholder! acclaim.gif

As for the wildlife series, I totally agree that we need some more. Who knows, in another hundred years half these animals might only be seen on coins! Cant they do an "endangered" set... or would that get too political?

-Jill

As one of the people screaming for alegory to return to coinage, I must say I am rather disappointed with myself for not having ordered any of these beautiful commems. As Jill has pointed out, these very same animals may not be here in 50-100 years. Then again, we might not be either!

But thinking positive, I still maintain coinage with extinct animals/plants/and even insects should be considered viable. We all know it would be a never-ending series even if the mint produced one a week. Thousands of suitable candidates are waiting for immortality and more deserving then past presidents.

If individual people must be represented, what about ALL the Nobel prize winners? Another group needing/deserving recognition!

Done with my mini- sign-rantpost.gif

David

Jill,

That set looks great in the new multiholder.

Congrats! thumbsup2.gif

And Hoot, thanks for posting the photo for us all to see. 893applaud-thumb.gif

John