• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

total newb question posted by cemonice

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Don't laugh!

In these past 4 years I have heard the word "slider" maybe a hanfull of times but never thought about it.

What does it mean?

It never crossed my mind to ask....im asking now?

Thanks guys and gals to anyone who can help me out, I don't have veterans in my area to go to with these questions

See more journals by cemonice

Hi cemonice,

Sliders (at least how I've heard it used) refers to an About Uncirculated coin that someone is trying to sell as uncirculated. Normally a slider would have just a slight touch of wear, but not enough fofr maybe a newer collector to notice. So, the seller is trying to "slide" the coin as uncirculated. Hope this helps.

Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

I learn something new everyday. I was not familiar with the term "slider" before today. The old adage that the only dumb question, is the one never asked is so very true.

Gary hm

A coin is somtimes refered to as having "slide marks". Often these resulted from being placed in one of those albums that has the clear slides on both sides. If you are not careful when opening and closing the slide you can rub the high points of the coin, causing slide marks. If the coin was originally mint state it may now be a high end AU.

Slide marks can also be caused by the coin sliding across a counter or even sliding around a bit in an old coin cabinet, also often called "cabinet friction". The term slider was originally used to described coins with these types of slide marks but now is often used to describe any high end AU coin.

A high end AU coin (typically AU58) that has the eye appeal of an MS coin.

Technically, it still has wear, but it usually looks better than a banged-up 63.

TPGS sometimes grade gold sliders as a low MS grade, if the wear amount of the coin and/or the eye appeal warrants it.

I agrre with Noow. A "Slider" is an coin that technically grades AU-58, in other words it shows just the barest hint of wear on the high points, but retains almost all of the original luster. The term "slider" comes from the commercial consderation that the coin can "slide" up in grade from AU to become an "Unc". I also believe the term can be used for any goin that "slides" a grade. A little know fact is that in 1962 while in NYC, a young David Bowers did a take out of White Castle burgers, also known as "sliders". That night he was grading coins , came across the above situation, ie , he found an AU-58 graded as an UNC and thus the "slider" term was born.

I agrre with Noow. A "Slider" is an coin that technically grades AU-58, in other words it shows just the barest hint of wear on the high points, but retains almost all of the original luster. The term "slider" comes from the commercial consderation that the coin can "slide" up in grade from AU to become an "Unc". I also believe the term can be used for any goin that "slides" a grade. A little know fact is that in 1962 while in NYC, a young David Bowers did a take out of White Castle burgers, also known as "sliders". That night he was grading coins , came across the above situation, ie , he found an AU-58 graded as an UNC and thus the "slider" term was born.

Welcome to the boards :)