• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I crack this one? posted by Leonard Family

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Nice Red/Brown or "Improperly cleaned"?

I bought this one a little while ago for my raw Indian Cent collection. It's currently in a "DETAILS" slab, so I though cracking it out would be a no brainer. I've looked at this thing alot, and I can't see anything that would indicate a cleaning, let alone an improper one. Tell me what you think.

9316.jpg

See more journals by Leonard Family

The label specifically mentions "obv improperly cleaned". I see a hairline running from the "8" in the date to the bust, and the toning is a little wood grainy, especially near the nose. The cheek is slightly blue-ish when turned just right. Maybe that's what is the concern with this one.

The label specifically mentions "obv improperly cleaned". I see a hairline running from the "8" in the date to the bust, and the toning is a little wood grainy, especially near the nose. The cheek is slightly blue-ish when turned just right. Maybe that's what is the concern with this one.

I have to agree with you, there maybe more or a little less of that which they had noticed. You may find more signs of the cleaning if you view the entire obverse under at least 10x mag. But personally I am more leaning towards the idea that there may have been something on the cheek and field that most older copper tends to see in its lifetime. Give you a small hint, the statue of liberty wasn't always green.

-Chris