• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete or Not Complete Master ASE Brown Label Sets? posted by Tom Lemon

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

32 Coin set is the standard with NGC but is that a complete Master Set? Maybe, maybe not?

The question really is; is a MS 69 or MS 70 American Silver Eagles Brown Labels Set complete with only 32 coins? Or is it just the simple set that is complete? Far be it from me to make the choice for you, me or anyone else.

As I understand it the normal set is the 32 coins that NGC shows on this collectors site but, I also know that there are other coins that can be added to this same collection, like a (2006 W ASE Early Releases Brown Label), while NGC says that they are the same when it comes to collecting and the points it gives for them. I feel that they are still different.

Then there are the error coins, they include the rare one from 2008 but they don't include other error coin. Why? There are several other Error coins from other years all with Brown NGC Labels as well. I guess for the true collector that loves the rare side would say you must have one of every coin. While I would agree with that, I also know most of us would never be blessed to have a total and complete master set of any kind. A rich few will be that lucky. Until then I will just do like most of us and try to get what ever I can find that I have the money for. NGC makes the rules here for their site on what is what but, the collector makes it for themself every where else.

Let me know what do you think? Are the site's standard sets a master set and complete or are they not complete? Additionally if anyones knows what and any other Brown Label coins are out there that can be part of this set let us all know. Thanks for reading and any input you all may have. Tom L.

9269.jpg

See more journals by Tom Lemon

One of every coin is a complete set, one of every label is $$$$ for NGC. I try to not get caught-up playing the label game to fill a set. A coin is a coin, a label is a label. Like you said, it's my game I make the rules. Early Release only means the coin got graded sooner than a regular label, doesn't add or subtract ANYTHING from the coin. It doesn't even guarentee that your coin was minted before mine, it only guarentees that your coin was graded before mine. I fail to see any numismatic value placed on Early Release coins. I could keep a coin in a mint sealed box released on the first day of issue for 10 yrs., yet it could not get an early release label. Maybe I can get them to make "special" labels, like "Sealed in Box" and then put how long. Well that's my rant for the day, as you can tell I hate special labels, good luck in your collecting adventures.

Technically speaking, the 2008, reverse of 2007, is a die variety because it was struck mistakenly with the reverse die left over from 2007. Yes the die was used in error, but nothing of the strike is an error. As a die variety, it naturally has to be a part of any complete collection just as the 1909-S and 1909-S VDB Lincoln cents are separate die varieties.

Gary

I agree with the first response: I collect Silver Eagles, not labels. I don't see any reason a specific label adds any value to a properly graded coin.

I consider the 2008, reverse of 2007 a minor die variety and not necessary for a "complete" collection. As noted in the response, this was an unintentional variety caused by use of left-over dies. The 1909-S VDB cent is different; this was an intentional design change, like the 1883 No Cents / With Cents nickets or the two distinctly different 1942-P Jefferson nickels (silver and Cu-Ni). A Lincoln set isn't "complete" without both a 1909-S and a 1909-S VDB, but a 1955 DDO variety is not necessary for a "complete" set. My opinion; others may not agree.