• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Costa Rica pocket change

4 posts in this topic

On my recent trip to Costa Rica I went to the bank a couple of times for exchange. Once, I was handed a few new coins, the best of which I kept. The largest denomination coin that circulates down there is 500 colones, which is about $1.25 U.S. (CR is undergoing major hyperinflation.) It's a cool coin with a depiction of the "Rich Coast" on the obverse, showing the vocanoes, which are quite active in the central part of the country, and the ship that Christopher Columbus discoveredd the area in, around 1500. (CC is a local hero and there is anational holiday in his honor.)

How often does one pull an MS68 half dollar sized coin from change in the U.S.? That's why I was so taken with this piece and had it graded by NGC. What a kick!

463448-2003%20Costa%20Rica%20500%20colones%20MS68%20NGC%20obv.jpg

463453-2003%20Costa%20Rica%20500%20colones%20MS68%20NGC%20rev.jpg

Hoot

Better be careful Hoot - you're being drawn into the inescapable whirlpool of world coinage 893whatthe.gif

But ya know what - it sure is nice once ya give in to the alure wink.gif

Thanks John and Doug. I have been attracted to many world coins over time but have no "process" in place to collect them. I think I'll just emulate some of the best collectors I've known wink.gif and only collect those pieces that grab my interest. Collecting a particular series of world coins seems like an onerous task to me. So, slowly I forge ahead!

Hoot