• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st naturally toned 5oz yellowstone.. A must see posted by Paul Kiraly

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I still cant believe my eyes

In a recent journal, I explained how to turn a gun safe in coin safe. With over 500 certified coins , junk silver rounds, Toned silver coins, and Solid oak shelves and copper pennies. I really dont know how it happened. I originally bought a bullion version of the 5 oz America The Beautiful when it first came out. I put the on the top shelf inside my safe and closed it up. I opened my safe periodocially to put coins I won from an auction in my NGC boxes and Closed it back up.I went into the safe last night to put my Mt Hood "P" 5oz in the safe. For some reason, I cant explain, I wanted to compair the bullion and "P " versions. When I pulled the first coin from the top shelf it was yellowstone. I almost hit the floor when I seen it toned. The obverse was against the shelve and the reverse was face up. It is the most beautiful full copper toneing with a light shade of blue on the bisons back. The rim has heavy shades of purple and blue around the rim and sides. The obverse that is against the wood shelve is still blasted white. For some reason when I put the 5 coins in the safe, I wasnt paying attention to what I was doing. I put 4 of the 5 coins obverse face up and one face down. The MT Hood is toned on washington obverse. I took a picture of the yellowstone the best I could. I may consider putting this on ebay. This scan cannot do this coin any kind of justice once you put it in your hand. Please let me know what you think !

9202.jpg

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

Firstly, I will say it is a very nice color. I don't collect the pucks because I think if you're going to buy 5 oz of silver, you might as well buy bars. Seems a waste to make oversized bullion rounds with a US Quarter Dollar design stamped on them, and then pay the US Govt a premium for them.

There are lot of threads on the discussion boards about NT versus Artificial Toning (AT), and their respective market acceptable status, so I'll avoid repetition of that here. Nonetheless, I do have a comment regarding the "natural" toning. From a chemistry standpoint, this kind of toning is only "natural" to the particular safe, moisture, and chemical mix in the air/location where you stored the coin. I understand it happened over a few months, and not immediately upon submersing the coin in some chemical bath or by heating. But, the toning itself is anything but "natural", IMO. I will say though, you may want to make sure the humidity and temperature levels in your storage area are safe for your other coins. There must be some particular mix of chemicals and/or moisture, etc. to tone these so quickly.

But, I will close with how I opened. It's a beautiful puck. I'm sure someone will think it's worth more than 5 x $38 = $190. :)

Since you said this used to be a gun safe, did you store ammo with the guns? If so, sulfer, an ingrediant in gun powder is the primary element that mixes with moisture in the air and chemically reacts with silver to form a patina on the surface of your coin. Since sulfer in a gun safe might be of a higher concentration than that normally found in the air may be why your coin has toned so quickly.

Gary