• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Weekend! posted by TD Henson

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

And now a dimemna...

I've been working on selecting my very best dimes for another submission to NGC. Still waiting on the 70-D DDR and Broadstruck 71-P Roosies to come back from NCS conservation/NGC grading, but now I'm getting antsy to submit more top grade coins to NGC.

I have the "save" pile whittled down to about 20 coins that I believe are top grades and had planned to whittle this pile down to 8 or 10 coins for my next submission.

Generally, the local coin shows don't produce much in the way of Roosevelt dimes, whether they are silver or clad. So, I had little expectation prior to attending the show, except to talk some coin lore, view some nice coins and perhaps make a purchase or two. I have to restrain myself to working on just one or two sets at a time, else I tend to spend too much money and get spread out too far and never, ever complete anything.

The quest for full strike, full torch Roosevelt dimes is an interesting test of patience and endurance and I plan to complete the clad set in the highest possible grade I can find/afford.

So - I start browsing dealer junk books they lay on the table and in the first hour find a really nice 72-D Roosie in what I believe is MS 66 FT - bought it for a song and was elated. In the next hour I'm perusing dealers that have mint sets. I like to announce my intentions to look through the mint sets and usually explain what I'm looking for to read the dealer - some don't like it, so I pass to another. The dealer with the most mint sets in view after my initial walk through is my target - this dealer was open, receptive and quite helpful with my quest.

Imagine to my surprise when I bump into a very nice fully struck 74-D Roosie that I would grade MS 66 FT. My luck has to be at an end - right?!? Well, not quite yet. The last 1995 mint set yields a beautifully struck 95-D Roosie (very tough FT coin) in what I would grade as an MS 66+ FT to MS 67 FT.

Now the dilemna begins, as I add these three beauties to an already burgeoning pile of nicely struck Roosies. Which to send - this is the question!

Needless to say what a great coin weekend!

Todd

PS - If you happen to live in the Carolina's and attend coins shows look up Mike Lynch at your local coin show. A true collectors dealer and class act!

Today's picture - the reverse of my newest addition to my clad Roosies - 86-P MS 67 FT - Super tough FT coin

9187.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson