• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The owner of this had a bad day back in the 60's

5 posts in this topic

Ohhh, imagine how the owner of this coin felt when all the BU bags were found at the treasury department. If you look closely, you may see some salt water tear stains on this coin!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1903-O-US-MINT-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-/310333828220?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4841566c7c

As I rememeber the price of a Mint State 1903-O dollar went from $1,500, which was huge money in the early 1960s, to $15.00 in short order. The price went up a little from $15, but it never got back to the old levels even with inflation.

BTW that 1903-O dollar in Good- is actually a rare coin in that grade. Most of the pieces you see today are in Mint State.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Certain issues are indeed rare in worn condition. I've been searching for an 1897(P) in original F or VF for years, and I've yet to see anything less than XF-45. Another very tough coin worn is 1925(P). These issues don't appear to have been released from vaults until decades after coining, and the 1925 was once the key to the Peace Dollar series until the 1940s.