• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Learned something about 1967 SMS sets today

6 posts in this topic

I bought nineteen (19) SMS from 1967. Received them today. The blue paper cases came in 2 different varieties, some have the printing mostly across the paper holder, while (the minority) have it going about 1/2 was across the blue paper holder. Without further investigation I am assuming the later are left-over from 1966. Nothing new on this topic I presume.

On a separate topic, I opened all of these up to see the contents. As expected it was apparent from wear on the paper holders that most had been opened before. I came across one that looked either unopened or maybe opened only once or twice in the last 34 years and perhaps has "gone along for the ride" with the other sets. It looks like this set has a "cameo" or "cameo-like" dime in it. Basically it looks like a Proof CAM -- on a 1967 SMS dime.

Definitely it clearly stands out from the rest of the coins in these 1967 SMS I received.

If I could image it I would, but do not have that capability at this time.

Comments?

Thank You.

Interesting observation Jim. I've made the same observation quite a while back. I call them the type of 66, which you mostly see in 66, the cardboard rough type, and the type of 67, shiny smooth, which you mostly see in 67, but oddly enough, you see both varieties in both years, just more prevalent as stated above.

As for the cameo dime. If you were going to pick a coin in the whole SMS series that you would say is common in cameo or dcam, it would be the 67 dime. So, to really say it's worth slabbing it would have to grade at least 67 cam, and even then, you probably wouldn't get $100 for the coin. The fact is, these coins are rare in cameo/deep cameo, but they are a greatly under appreciated series and even with low population numbers they are still very affordable. Unless you get coins that are deep / ultra cameo in say 66 or above, then you'll have something that will bring money.

As for the cameo dime. If you were going to pick a coin in the whole SMS series that you would say is common in cameo or dcam, it would be the 67 dime. So, to really say it's worth slabbing it would have to grade at least 67 cam, and even then, you probably wouldn't get $100 for the coin. The fact is, these coins are rare in cameo/deep cameo, but they are a greatly under appreciated series and even with low population numbers they are still very affordable. Unless you get coins that are deep / ultra cameo in say 66 or above, then you'll have something that will bring money.

Exactly.

The only thing that is the least bit encouraging is that you say this dime really stands out. All the '67 SMS's stand out a little over the '65 and '66 so perhaps this really is something special.

Even the nice coins in these sets don't get a lot of attention since everyone focuses on only the nicest of the nice. All the SMS's are underappreciated.