• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few More Exciting Recent Finds in Pocket Change !! posted by J Lloyd Young

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

And some preplexing questions I can not answer about a Penny ....

Hello Fellow Collectors : I have posted a photo of some pocket change finds from this past week . A 1960 Roosevelt Dime , a 1920 Lincoln Penny in FINE , one 1943-P Jefferson War Nickel , a 1966 Kennedy Clad Half , a 1917-P Buffalo Nickel ( yes I nicodated it to bring out that well worn date ) and finally a 1955 Lincoln Cent in a very un-usual uncirculated condition ....even stranger it's a Poor Man's Double Die Variety with the prominent doubling on the last 5 in "55" . Stranger still this is the 7th straight 1955 Poor Man's Double Die I have found in change at work in recent weeks . One particular day in late June I found 5 at one time all of this variety all in VF/XF grade . It's almost a tease of fate that as badly as I have always wanted to find an elusive 1955 Double Die Penny in pocket change that I in turn find these much lesser variety coins bearing the same date .

All of this begging the question ...where ARE these coming from and are there more to be found ? Did someone squirrel a bunch of these away only to have someone else recently spend them ?

Might I yet get lucky enough to find the Grand MaHoona Penny yet ? It seems likely that the 5 coins I found in the same till on the same day were either in a roll or spent at the same time . But it still seems so very odd to have found this much higher grade example recently and have it also be the same variety .

In fact ...given my poorer up close eyesight I had to spend the entire day at work not knowing for sure if it was even a 1955 however as soon as I got home that evening my loop confirmed everything .

Which brings me to close by saying again and again that the most fun I ever had and continue to have with this hobby is finding these little treasures in pocket change the same way I did as a kid . As nuch as I enjoy the Registry it's this old fashioned collecting that really makes my day .

9171.JPG

See more journals by J Lloyd Young

WAY TO GO, just proves there is stuff out there for those of us with patience and a good eye. Maybe the economy is driving out old glass jars of coins??