• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Easy come..... easy go...... posted by Texan's Coins

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Elation and depression.....

So, I helped out at a different branch yesterday and while talking to one of the tellers, I noticed that he had a penny set apart at the top of his coin tray. Usually when I see that, it means wheat penny. However, this was a blank planchet!!! Definitely circulated, but a great find!

I switched it out for another penny and put it in my pocket. When I got home and emptied my pockets, I couldn't find the coin, but I figured it just fell out into my car. This morning, when I got to work, I found it sitting on the drivers seat. I was afraid to put it into the cup holder, because I have change in there and I was afraid I would spend it by accident. So, I put it in the track for my gearshift, by itself....... where it proceeded to slide down under the console and out of sight. I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach......

However, later, I found a 1964 Roosevelt dime, so I feel a tiny bit better, but I have NEVER found a blank planchet before.

Keep a tight grip on your coins, my friends.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Marcus,

Great Story, I am always putting aside the new quarters then forgetting to put them in my albums. I usually tuck them in that little change pocket in my jeans. Usually the coins are recovered at the bottom of the laundry basket.

Later Malcolm

Sorry you lost the coin, but it might have been karma that gotcha. The way I read your story, you actually took the coin from someone else. Karma is always there, dude. Never underestimate it. I do feel for you and you might consider dismantling that part of the console. Good Luck!

Sue

its funny you bring that up because just a couple weeks ago i found a blank planchet in a box of pennies! Up until then, i never had found one!

I buy a box of pennies, once a week and go through it for interesting coins. I work evenings, so it fills some of the down time. You would be surprised what i have found! I also found a 1969-D with a huge die error on it! If someone will explain to me how to take a pic from my files and post it, i will gladly show you, as i am terrible with this machine!

nick

@ Malcolm, I am always impressed at how clean coins are when I pull them out of my dryer. lol Of course, they lose their numismatic value, but they sure are shiny!.

@Sue, I apologize for not getting into the details. I work for that bank, so I switched the blank out for a penny. I have to be very careful with supplying my hobby via work. The teller who had it had separated it because he didn't think anyone would take it from him.

@Nick, congratulations to you. Please be more careful with yours than I was with mine. I have searched through a few rolls, but it has never stuck with me. Many great finds have been made that way, so maybe I should give it some more time.

Marcus