• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today is day 1 for the journal entries posted by novamomm

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Having trouble with photography. I thought I was going to become a coin collector!

I have actually tried this before, but somehow it did not work. Maybe this time it will. I have entered some coins. Having a lot of problems with pictures. I am not a photographer. I am just barely a coin collector! I feel funny calling myself a coin collector even though there are a lot of coins around the house here and there.

Back to picture problems.... I have tried different options and I am still not happy with results. There are a few in my collection now but maybe later I will get brave enough to ask someone how they do it. I read a blog where some man was using some opty-doop German camera with a zillion mm lens and special lighting. I have already decided that I will not go there. My rule of life...KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)

9106.jpg

See more journals by novamomm

Howdy novamomm,

I feel your pain.......! Coin photography can be frustrating at least that is my experience especially with proof coins. Getting a decent shot for my gallery is really all I'm after and like you, I would rather spend money on coins than on lighting, camera, lens, tripods and the like. I use a cardboard box of a small size and cut all the sides out leaving about 3/4 of an inch remaining as a frame and cover the cutouts with rice paper and tape them in place. I then use artist board that is white on one side and black on the other, so I can change the background for night or day shooting and place the finished box on the artist board. You now have a small portable still photography studio! I use a regular 50 watt hologen bulb in my living room lamp (shade removed) on an extension cord so I can move it around for the best effect along with a 100 watt incandescent. I sometime use a small free standing picture frame, very small, as a stand to prop up the slab for the best angle As for the camera, I use a old point and shoot, Canon PowerShot SD790IS an 10 Megapixel digital camera and set it up in digital macro mode, no flash, with timer set to 3 second delay for hands off shooting, this will help to keep vibration to a minimum as this will make for fuzzy results when using macro zoom seeting. Might be more info than you wanted but this is how I get photos of my coins,

Best of luck, hope this helps,

Larry

There's no such thing as too much information! Thank you very much!

I actually found a box this week and was going to line the inside with black construction paper. I have a Canon camera somewhat like what you mentioned. It is waiting for me to try it. I'll study what you said some more and maybe get it together this weekend.

This getting started stuff is challenging but I think once you get something set up and organized it should be pretty simple.

Personally I would line the box with white so that it will reflect more light. You can always use a deep grey or black sheet behind a coin to help absorb some of the lighting (very handy when photographing copper coins). Below is a picture of my coin photo setup. As you can see its really nothing special but it does work great. I did however spend a bit more for the camera than I used to use. The new camera is a Fuji Films S2950 that I purchased for between $225 and $275. whats not seen in the picture is the camera on a cheap $30 tripod for stability.

My thread on photography progress

MyCoinphotosetup.jpg

Couple of examples of the pictures produced

2010-s-Yellowstone-Silver.jpg

2001KennedyHalvessmall.jpg

Welcome to the Board Novamomm, I have the cruddiest photos in the world, that's why I now have to rely on the semi-professionals here at NGC. (:

It's a coin studio! Pretty nice little setup you have there. I am impatient and want to get going so mine looks nothing like that! For a camera, I found a nifty little microscope that shoots pictures straight to the computer. It is terrific for finding minute details but I think I will try just a regular camera. As time goes by.... Thanks for the picture. It gives me ideas.

Welcome to NGC and the message boards. I am by no means an expert on coin photography. I am getting better, but will probably never be completely satisfied.

One thing that I do know for a fact is that if you see someone whose pictures you like on here, they would be more than willing to help you out!

The people on here are all incredibly nice and helpful. They also LOVE talking about anything related to coins.........

Once again, welcome to the obsession we all know as Numismatics!

Marcus

Worn coppers, or any darker colored coins, are simple to obtain great photos of - if you have, what I consider and essential piece of computer related equipment - the FLAT Bed Scanner. No focus, reflection, or exposure problems, generally. I've written a guide that takes this into photo finishing and how to combine Obverse/Reverse images into one for easier posting to web sites and inventory databases. See many photos and get the SCANNING Guide free at:

Moneta Coins

you can contact me at: Moneta@moneta-coins.com