• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ICG coins

29 posts in this topic

I have several ICG graded coins -- in the $500-$1000 range (per PCGS.com).

In my eye, they look graded correctly -- but I am no expert -- but not a novice either.

So, do I crack them out and submit to PCGS or NGC, or keep them in their current ICG holders?

I don't have any pics to post, so consider this a general question.

Thanks.

Let me clarify....crack them out and submit to NGC/PCGS or keep them in my collection as it.

Thank You.

I would cross them personally. ICG coins have issues with liquidity, but I have been able to cherry pick some coins at good prices. I have a few gold coins (all pre 1900) that appear to be accurately graded too. I'm hoping to submit one to NGC soon.

I'd have them regraded. If they're like most ICG holders, the holder is too scuffed up for a grader to be able to cross at grade while the coin is in the holder. You'll either have to polish the slab first or crack the coin out. I'd have to see the coins first before I'd decide whether to submit raw or in the holders.

Let me clarify....crack them out and submit to NGC/PCGS or keep them in my collection as it.

I say this to everyone. IF you are not going to sell the coins anytime soon don't bother wasting your money on TPGs or stickers or any of that . If you want to spend money do it buying more coins or whatever. IMO.

When it's time to sell then by all means...get them into holders that provides liquidity.

jom

I say this to everyone. IF you are not going to sell the coins anytime soon don't bother wasting your money on TPGs or stickers or any of that . If you want to spend money do it buying more coins or whatever. IMO.

When it's time to sell then by all means...get them into holders that provides liquidity.

jom

I was assuming that the original poster was interested in selling them (I overlooked his second post). If he isn't interested in selling them, then I would agree 100% unless he is in poor health and/or elderly with children - I think that people with heirs that are unaware of the nuances of the coin market and the certification game are at the risk of being exploited. In this instance, I would slab them for posterity.

I've owned a good amount of conservatively graded ICG coins and have never had an issue getting PQ monies for them if dealing with a seasoned collector.

My 1920-D below is staying in ICG plastic as it's the only AU58 that they ever designated as FH.

ICG doesn't designate for full heads below MS60.

I also have a lot of fun with this coin as it is in ICG plastic...

If I cover the label and show it to dealers they guess into the upper echelon of MS grades ;):D

209g70i.jpg

jom

Agree. This is the best advice and it makes the most economic sense.

I purchased an ICG ms68 buffalo nickel about five years ago for only $500.00. I put it into a

Heritage auction a few years later and it sold for $1000.00. Of course that is a lot less than a pcgs or ngc ms68 would have sold for, but still much better than any ms67 coins.

I would leave them right where they are unless there is some compelling reason that they

may be a cinch upgrade. Spend you money buying more coins.

tom

It depends on what the coins are. If they are early material, I'd crack them out.... period :) !

But basically, as others have implied, I wouldn't waste any more money on holders than is necessary. Keep them as they are, and enjoy them for what they are.

I've owned a good amount of conservatively graded ICG coins and have never had an issue getting PQ monies for them if dealing with a seasoned collector.

My 1920-D below is staying in ICG plastic as it's the only AU58 that they ever designated as FH.

209g70i.jpg

Interesting slab/story. If ICG doesn't grade AU coins FH how did this happen?

However, not to ruin the story but that coin doesn't even look remotely AU. lol

jom

209g70i.jpg

Interesting slab/story. If ICG doesn't grade AU coins FH how did this happen?

However, not to ruin the story but that coin doesn't even look remotely AU. lol

jom

Looks AU to me. How would you grade it?

Looks AU to me. How would you grade it?

There is no flatness on Liberty's knee/leg...none I can see anyway. The hard part of course is you can't see if there is a luster break across the knee since this is just a static photo. But like I said, based on the photo, I don't see the flatness.

Whatever the case, it is a great strike....all the rivets!

jom

I Cherrypicked a Mercury Dime at Summer FUN. 1939 Mercury in ICG MS68. It was priced just above MS67. It is certainly an MS67.

BUT, it is also the DDO FS-101. :whee:

This is not a common coin and I am very happy to have it for my Registry Set.

I will be submitting it for attribution to a TPG in late August or September with my next batch of coins. :)

I Cherrypicked a Mercury Dime at Summer FUN. 1939 Mercury in ICG MS68. It was priced just above MS67. It is certainly an MS67.

I did something VERY similar. I found a MS68FB ICG 39-D (you know...one of those nicely toned ones) and got it for less than PCGS 67FB money. I figured it was at least a 67 so I bought it. I later sent it into PCGS and it came back the same 68FB and sold it for about 8X.

jom

What does everyone think of this coin -- keep as is, or crack out?

I got it for cheap money through Teletrade with the idea (at the time) of cracking it out.

Opinions?

113986.jpg.4a7a6f9c342ce0b91117a976154991b4.jpg

What does everyone think of this coin -- keep as is, or crack out?

I got it for cheap money through Teletrade with the idea (at the time) of cracking it out.

Opinions?

I sure can't grade it from those images.

Pic is lousy, I realized that after I uploaded it -- it's the only one I have though.

I have a couple boxes of NGC/PCGS $2.50 Indians in 61, 62, and 63's and this one looks at least a 62 to me. Others have "warned" me that since it is in an ICG if I crack it it may come back cleaned or with other issues.....is this a legit concern or more of an alarmist statement?

Thanks.

Pic is lousy, I realized that after I uploaded it -- it's the only one I have though.

I have a couple boxes of NGC/PCGS $2.50 Indians in 61, 62, and 63's and this one looks at least a 62 to me. Others have "warned" me that since it is in an ICG if I crack it it may come back cleaned or with other issues.....is this a legit concern or more of an alarmist statement?

Thanks.

That type of risk applies to just about any coin that is cracked out, including those in PCGS and NGC holders. The fact that the coin is in an ICG holder, alone, shouldn't deter you. On the other hand, if you can't distinguish an AU58 from an MS61, that's a different matter.

Thanks.

Cleaned would be my last worry as I've seen more doctored gold in ICG holders then even SEGS and PCI combined.

Remember that since the market prices for PCGS and NGC graded are generally much higher than for the lesser tiered TPGs any correctly graded coins would have been cherry picked out by now. So what is left after the "feeding" are the questionable coins.

Unfortunately this reflects badly on the lesser TPGs because what you eventually see is the garbage left over. So it's not so much that these TPGs were bad but the market just has never accepted them by offering premiums for their coins. It seems very difficult to break into the grading market because of this phenomena.

jom

Remember that since the market prices for PCGS and NGC graded are generally much higher than for the lesser tiered TPGs any correctly graded coins would have been cherry picked out by now. So what is left after the "feeding" are the questionable coins.

Unfortunately this reflects badly on the lesser TPGs because what you eventually see is the garbage left over. So it's not so much that these TPGs were bad but the market just has never accepted them by offering premiums for their coins. It seems very difficult to break into the grading market because of this phenomena.

jom

In this case the price spread is not all that great in the AU58 to MS62 range so there is no real financial reward for the effort and expense to get this coin reslabbed.

I own many coins that have life changing value in ICG slabs.

Do your homework and learn how to grade and this will save you money on both resending to other Tpg's or buying a undergraded coin in any TPG's slab.

My bud Cammie RIP.. Show me how to Cherrypick ICG slabs for a profit, still doing it today. LMAO to the ATS Koolaid guys.

Nothing wrong with ICG.. Save your money and educate your buyer when it's time to sell your ICG slabs for good money or tell them to walk.